Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to put a remote start the Xterra for Chistmas. Anybody have any recommendations? I'd like one thats not too expensive and not to crazy to install.

thanks,

Jeff

·
on line
2,077 Posts
your X is an automatic right? some states have laws against remote starters on manuals...

with that being said, my sister has a cobra remote start/alarm....had it on her mustang, and now on her hummer. she likes it, has a digital display, and really isn't any bigger than the nissan factory keyfob.

·
on line
971 Posts
I've heard anything by Directed Electronics (parent company of Viper and Clifford alarms) makes one that's pretty straightforward and that you can implement with the OEM keyfob. <-- I have yet to confirm this, though.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
If you want to use the oem keyfob just make sure whatever starter you get has external trigger inputs. Then you can trigger the starter by pressing lock a certain number of times which is usually 2-3 times depending on model.
All models have the same basic install. They differ with all the other options which I think is unnecessary IMO. And if your key is chipped then you'll also need a transponder bypass module which runs ~$20 and up. Or you can make one yourself for under $5.

·
on line
971 Posts
xterrock said:
And if your key is chipped then you'll also need a transponder bypass module which runs ~$20 and up. Or you can make one yourself for under $5.
Most of us here have chipped keys, from what I was aware of. Anyways, I thought that we had to purchase an PROGRAMMED key from the dealer and hide it in the dash somewhere.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Thats what I thought to, but Some models maybe the X dont use chipped keys from what I remember. You do have to hide a key in the car somewhere unless you get one of those modules that simulate the chip frequency, but those cost a grip of money. Since we get 3 keys with the car, I just used the valet key.

The transponder module that you buy is basically a relay in a nice plastic box. So you can save yourself a lot of money by making your own. I came across some instructions for this on the net when installing my remote starter and works great. This method actually gives you more options for hiding the key. My key is not even in the front half of the car. The ones you buy premade have shorter wire leads which is why the keys usually end up under the dash and more easily accessible for someone who wants your car more than you. =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts