Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running the Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlars. Did some wheeling with a buddy couple weeks back, it was wet and I had some problems with the tires. My buddy was in a Bronco with Dunlop Mud Rovers and there were a couple of rock obstacles that he just walked up and I had to fight my way over due to a lack of traction :confused:.

We were both locked front and rear and it wasn't a clearance issue, I just couldn't get the tires to bite where he had no problem. We were also both running at about 16psi.

I have a few miles left on the Goodyears but I'm doing some research on my next set of tires. I really liked the way the Dunlops performed, but they only make them in 15" :angry5:

I'm considering Cepek (Mud Country or Crusher), Pro Comp Mud, Mickey Thompson ATZ & MTZ… They're all about the same spend…

These will be for weekends on the trail only. I have Michelins for daily use.

Interested to hear from those of you that love how your tires perform in mud and on wet rocks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I ran 33" Pro Comp Mud Terrains on my old Dodge 1500 and they were excellent in the mud. The wear was pretty even as well. Noise wasn't too bad. I didn't spend too much time on rocks with them though so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What size were his tires in comparison to yours? Not being critical here but that could have played a huge role here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point. Mine are 265/75 (fairly new, Goodyear lists actual diameter at 31.9". He has 33's. Possible that one inch made that big a difference?

My next set of off road tires will be either 285/75, 255/85, or 305/70 - so that'll be a little bit of a help… BTW, spacers needed for 305/70?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Tire width and the actual size of the tire both come in to play here as that determines how big of a contact patch you have. Because he and you were both aired down to about equal psi, that is a decent comparison. I am not going to sit here and try to put a number on exactly how much a difference it made, it is just something worth throwing out there. I doubt it was the only deciding factor though.

Not sure on the 305 width, I know several people are running them. You may have some trimming to do just to prevent rubbing, but unfortunately, spacers won't really help you there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts