Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2009 4x2, the (OEM) BF Goodrich Long Trails have reached the end of their career at 52K. They were good, i guess but I have nothing to compare them to, XTerra-wise.

Is there something quieter, and smoother riding out there, since I'm on the road 99% of the time? I was thinking of just buying 3 tires, and using my (unused) spare as the 4th new tire, and swapping my best old tire onto the spare to save cash, unless ya'll think I'd notice a good difference in moving away from the Long Trails.

The ones I can currently get a bit of a deal on at my local Discount tire are:

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051.

Michelin Latitude Tour 265/70R16 111T BSW

Thoughts?

·
Registered
443 Posts
The tires I had on the X when I got it(used) were Goodyear Wrangler (dont rememebr exact model) Silent Armors, pretty much a highway rib type tread. I had no problem with them, seemed to handle well on road. But I got rid of them when they wore out in favor of an All Terrain since I off road.

As far as using your spare to replace a road tire. I would only recommend that if you were going to get the same tires again, you really want all the road tires to match. As far as a used tire for the spare it doesn't much matter as long as it is still safe to drive on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Tires...

I did make it up the trail to Clear Lake near Silverton, CO with the BF Goodrich Long Trails, that little excursion (we did it twice one weekend) took a lot of little chunks out of the tires tho. Didn't help my brakes out either (no crawler gear on a 4x2!). I tool around on hunting leases too, but most of my time is on Texas pavement, so I'm thinking quieter/smoother ride might suit me better most of the time... My spare IS a Long Trail, BTW, so I'm good there.

As I go more aggressive on the tread, the tire will be louder, correct? Just wondering if there is such thing as a quiet / non-carlike tire...

285 Posts
Take a look at Firestone Destination LE2.

I just switched from some aged Michelin LTX M/S to these. The Michelins were a GREAT tire on my Explorer. I was going to get another set of those, but the Firestones were alot cheaper, and my local Firestone dealer gave me a $50 in-store coupon (maybe available at your local dealer). The ratings on TireRack are similar...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

It was strange that online prices were more than getting them from the Firestone dealer.

If you are looking for an "all terrain" appearing tire, these are not it. They look like a mild car tire. I have no input from winter driving yet. Haven't had any snow yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the tires replaced

So, I "cheaped out" and got 3 of the OEM BFG Long Trails, and dropped the spare for the fourth. I just couldn't let that brand new $160 spare Long Trail sit and dry rot under the car for 4 years. Still a $550+ bill at Discount Tire for mounting, balancing, RTPM kits and putting my best old tire on the spare rim. Told them the tires were $9 cheaper at NTB and DT dropped them $11 per tire too. Car rides smoother now, and the Long Trails got me 52K miles without a flat, or balancing, and only one rotation. And, I drove home with an extra $160 in my pocket! Maybe I'll update this thread in 4-5 years and see how they did from 52K to 104K... :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
2,267 Posts
Michelin LTX M&S2.
I am running them on my 4x4 as it is mostly street miles. They are great tires. I know half a dozen different people and trucks running them. F350 diesel down to a Ranger, Frontier, T100, and more. Great wear (both pattern and life). I have 15k on mine and they look like new (at 15k the original BFG had noticeable wear).

The bad part, they are not cheap tires.

·
on line
750 Posts
So far I am enjoying my Falken Rocky Mountain AT's pretty well. Very quiet ride with some decent traction.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Michelins are nice but too much money. I've had really good luck with destination le's. Great all around tire and you can easily get 60k miles out of them. I know people who have got 70k+ out if them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts