Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for me to get new tires, and since I'm stationed in the south, there's no need for the big snow tires I have in there now. What's the best tire with aggressive tread that won't break the bank?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Nissa XTerra S 4x4 Auto
37 Posts
Tried and true tire is the BF Goodrich A/T KO2. (except in deep mud)
For aggressive tread pattern (subjective of course) I will be purchasing a set of Milestar Patagonia MT's next week. They are very affordable as well.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
BFG K02 has been my choice since 2 years ago. Fits my need of decent on road and great off road.
10 ply so not best gas mileage but acceptable to me!
There is always a compromise and these tires fit me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 stock size on Amazon $700.
Works good for me in Florida.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
What's the best tire with aggressive tread that won't break the bank?
The BFG KO2 is an excellent tire, but it's also one of the more costly tires.

You may wish to look for a good deal on a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Mastercraft AXT2

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got a set of Mickey thompson ATZ P3 myself, there's a freak deal on them right now at priority tire, 150 per. Only on 265/75/16 for some reason, not the 33s. I haven't done a ton with them yet but I really like them, lots more grip on gravel than regular all terrains. I think MT is still running a deal on a bunch of their tires too, 100 dollar rebate on 4. Another member, AlbatrossCafe, has them and says lots of good things. He basically backs up their claims. Nice and luggy, stronga** sidewalls, and bead protectors but not full on MT. Better in mud than something like a KO2 but having noise and treadwear closer to an AT than MT. The design is about 5 years old so they don't have as much "look" to them as the current trend but they're pretty good. I just drove them on the highway for the first time today and they are not noisy, they handle well an don't squirm on striped concrete the way my ATs did.

People swear by KO2 though. You have to go pretty far to find a negative review. My uncle's been running them since the originals. Guys like Andrew St. Pierre-White put them on their personal vehicles when they spend their own money. I'm super excited about mine but they don't have the history of Ko2. Duratracs are super popular where i am but that's because snow is a factor, you don't need them so you can skip their weaker sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes, I'm bored.

I checked Walmarts prices to see what deals were available.
Prices were listed for 265/75 r16 as of Saturday June 27, 2020
Cooper Discover A/T $115.00
Falken Wildpeak AT3W $130.51
Toyo Open Country AT2 $135.89
Mastercraft Courser AXT2 $137.52
BFG KO2 $195.43

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, I'm bored.

I checked Walmarts prices to see what deals were available.
Prices were listed for 265/75 r16 as of Saturday June 27, 2020
Cooper Discover A/T $115.00
Falken Wildpeak AT3W $130.51
Toyo Open Country AT2 $135.89
Mastercraft Courser AXT2 $137.52
BFG KO2 $195.43
And Discount Tire Direct will price-match and beat those prices. When I bought Wildpeak AT3Ws Amazon had them on sale below Walmart, and DTD went I think it was $8 per tire less.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
361 Posts
If you are just concerned about off-road then don't get ko2s. Get a MT over an AT. Budget friendly options like the milestar Patagonia seem to test really well off-road.

If you drive a lot of miles on road then I would sacrifice some off-road capability for longevity and on road manners and get an AT. General Grabbers are cheaper than ko2s with very similar tread. They are also a bit lighter and don't run small either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: careyj

·
Registered
107 Posts
And Discount Tire Direct will price-match and beat those prices. When I bought Wildpeak AT3Ws Amazon had them on sale below Walmart, and DTD went I think it was $8 per tire less.
DTD will lie and make up reasons to say the other price is illegitimate if it’s more than a couple bucks though. Turned me off on them. “Not an authorized dealer so their tires have no warranty. We’ll give you ten dollars off instead of 50.”

·
Registered
2013 Metalic Blue S 6mt
4 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Dick Cepek Extreme Countrys I put on a couple months ago. Not a lot of road noise compared to my snow tires on pavement and great on the trails. They are 255/85s and didn't have to do the melt mod but I did anyways. I think I paid $203 a tire with a 100 off 4, reg price was 228. Still waiting for my OME suspension to replace my sagged out stock setup.

·
Registered
147 Posts
DTD will lie and make up reasons to say the other price is illegitimate if it’s more than a couple bucks though. Turned me off on them. “Not an authorized dealer so their tires have no warranty. We’ll give you ten dollars off instead of 50.”
Who was the retailer you were trying to match? Their policy is "authorized non-auction retailers offering comparable product and service" and it's pretty easy to determine if the website is an authorized seller of a specific tire brand.

·
Registered
77 Posts
U have Hankook Dynapro AT2's. They work great off and on road. Super quiet on road with plenty of traction except for deep mud. My X is my daily driver. They were pricey at @1300 for 5 but worth every penny.

·
TNX Veteran
3,821 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Dick Cepek Extreme Countrys I put on a couple months ago. Not a lot of road noise compared to my snow tires on pavement and great on the trails. They are 255/85s and didn't have to do the melt mod but I did anyways. I think I paid $203 a tire with a 100 off 4, reg price was 228. Still waiting for my OME suspension to replace my sagged out stock setup.
Got anymore pics? Maybe from the front or back where we can see more of the actual tread? Also what are your snow tires that are louder than MTs...? Curious as I always liked the look of the Extreme Country tires

·
Registered
2013 Metalic Blue S 6mt
4 Posts
Got anymore pics? Maybe from the front or back where we can see more of the actual tread? Also what are your snow tires that are louder than MTs...? Curious as I always liked the look of the Extreme Country tires
Here's a couple pics I took tonight when I got home from work. I can take some better ones in daylight. As for my snows they're studded Cooper Discoverer M&S'.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just put 285's on my Xterra. Had KO2's on before, awesome tire. New ones are Maxxis Bighorns. These will suck in the winter, but are way better offroad. Mud, deep snow, rocks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depends where in the south you are and what type of off roading. I really like my Goodyear Duratracs. Have them on my xterra and my ranch truck. Aggressive enough for some mud but really good road manners as well. BFGs suck wind for me due to the sticky black stuff we have. They load up and become slicks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure how aggressive you're looking for but my 07 off road had BF Goodrich All Terrain from the factory. I've been a Goodrich guy all my life but my new favorite is Perelli Scorpion Plus All Terrain. Super quiet on the highway. Apparently this is a second generation tire because the first generation was improved upon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts