Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 inch lift with 33 inch tires. I have nerf bars which I hope to one day replace with sliders.

What is the best jack to use if you need to change a flat on rocky and uneven terrain.

I tend to think inflatable jacks such as the ARB 72X10 Orange Bushranger X-Jack Kit or the Honhill Orange 4T Exhaust Air Jack and Inflatable Jack Exhaust would be a good choice. However, they are expensive, and for some reason, I do not feel comfortable using an inflatable jack.

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
384 Posts
I carry a hi lift jack for that.

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also use a bottle jack/stand combo. Much safer than a hi lift I am told by someone who used hi lifts for many years. I also carry a second very short bottle jack as the jack stand combo I have starts at 12 inches. If you do a lot of rock crawling you may have to carry a hi lift because of the situation, but for what I do the bottle jack/jack stand is fine.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have a 6 inch lift with 33 inch tires. I have nerf bars which I hope to one day replace with sliders.

What is the best jack to use if you need to change a flat on rocky and uneven terrain.

I tend to think inflatable jacks such as the ARB 72X10 Orange Bushranger X-Jack Kit or the Honhill Orange 4T Exhaust Air Jack and Inflatable Jack Exhaust would be a good choice. However, they are expensive, and for some reason, I do not feel comfortable using an inflatable jack.
The problem with asking what is "best" is there's rarely just one best answer. For changing a tire, a bottle jack is what I carry and would use.

I'm curious why you think an inflatable jack would be a good choice? I don't own one and haven't even seen one used in person but I'm just wondering what led you to that idea.

I own a high lift jack and have never lifted a vehicle with it. Pulled out some fence posts and stumps though. It is for sure a more versatile tool than a bottle jack, but IMO not the "best" tool for changing a tire.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
SafeJack makes products that stabilize the base and lifting points of bottle jacks and Hi-Lifts. I have a few of them, and they work well.

Safe Jack - 4WD, Outdoor,Off road, 4X4 accessories and products.
I've been thinking about getting some of their stuff, I know it's very highly regarded. Which accessories have you found most useful? I was thinking this kit:

There's also this guy who makes lower profile jack adapters for the Land Cruiser market:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I also have the bottle/jackstand combo. It works great. The only downside is the foot print, it's quite unwieldy.

I'm hesitant about exhaust jacks as well. It's just a puncture away from not working (especially in the rocky PNW?).

Safe Jack is expensive.

A mounted Hilift lets everyone know how overlandy you are but can knock your teeth out if not used properly..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Which accessories have you found most useful? I was thinking this kit:
That's exactly what I have. The U-shaped attachment fits the rear axle so you only have to lift one side.

The flat attachment seems more secure than using only the tip of the bottle jack when placed under the front suspension just inside the wheels. I have slightly bent the flat pad doing this, but the weld of this attachment is solid. I'm not really sure what the best location is for lifting one front wheel if your bottle jack isn't tall enough to overcome the droop of the front suspension, so that's where I lift from even though the triangular lower control arm plate isn't quite level with the ground. Alternatively, the Safe Jack shaft extension piece might help to reach a higher lifting point on the frame but I haven't tried this.

I also have their bottle jack base, but I've never used it. It's larger and heavier than I anticipated, so I leave it behind and hope that I can stabilize the bottle jack base some other way - maybe by digging a little hole for it if necessary.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
578 Posts
I have always used a bottle jack and assortment of rocks and 2x4s that I cut glued together. Super light and small footprint. I have only had to change tires, a tie rod end and one cv in my entire life off-roading so I do not have a whole lot of experience with jacking up trail side. Traction boards can also make good bases to jack from.

I use the bottle jack a lot in the garage due to its small size. Recently used it to rotate the engine backwards when getting the transmission back on after doing the clutch. Very useful.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have always used a bottle jack and assortment of rocks and 2x4s that I cut glued together. Super light and small footprint. I have only had to change tires, a tie rod end and one cv in my entire life off-roading so I do not have a whole lot of experience with jacking up trail side. Traction boards can also make good bases to jack from.

I use the bottle jack a lot in the garage due to its small size. Recently used it to rotate the engine backwards when getting the transmission back on after doing the clutch. Very useful.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Bottle jack and wood block man myself. I always carry an assortment of wood blocks when I go offroad - 2X4, 4x4 and a 2X6 as a base. Can use as firewood in an emergency!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
As for the 'best'.... this one must be up there, or it wouldn't cost that much lol
Basically, a hydraulic hi-lift... so no notches to be cumbersome when raising and lowering.
No, I don't have one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem with asking what is "best" is there's rarely just one best answer. For changing a tire, a bottle jack is what I carry and would use.

I'm curious why you think an inflatable jack would be a good choice? I don't own one and haven't even seen one used in person but I'm just wondering what led you to that idea.

I own a high lift jack and have never lifted a vehicle with it. Pulled out some fence posts and stumps though. It is for sure a more versatile tool than a bottle jack, but IMO not the "best" tool for changing a tire.
I think an inflatable jack would be a good choice because you can wedge it under your X when you have minimal clearance. Also, you don't have to worry about your X falling off the jack.

I read and watched some videos which said a high lift jack can be dangerous. The ARB hydraulic lift jack seems like a good alternative but not at a price of $800.00 plus.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bottle jack/stand combo for the win?????????????????????????????????????
I carry the stock scissor jack along with my bottle jack/stand because it is very low and can get in spots my bottle jack cant. You can even start the lift with the stock jack and then get the jack stand real high before you even start cranking the bottle jack.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carry the stock scissor jack along with my bottle jack/stand because it is very low and can get in spots my bottle jack cant. You can even start the lift with the stock jack and then get the jack stand real high before you even start cranking the bottle jack.
Great advice. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts