Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put an aftermarket radio in my X. Can anyone tell me where you've had the best luck with prices online? I know Crutchfield tends to be a little on the high side.

Thanks in advance.

285 Posts
I have never had problems with Crutchfield. You can dig online for some promo codes.

Authorized Dealer is another thing I look for with online retailers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly crutchfield because while the prices are higher, everything you need is included and they have great tech support
Posted via Mobile Device
Valid point on Crutchfield - they do give you all the free install goodies, so the higher price can be offset by that.

I appreciate the feedback all.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Alternatively you can PM "Kfrizz" and let him know what you're after.
He may be able to get you a good deal :)
He has a running GB for subs/speakers
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After much research, I pulled the trigger on the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS tonight.

Main driving factor, was it had more steering wheel functions available than the Kenwood, and the Alpine didn't seem to document their Android support as much as Kenwood or Pioneer did. I'm sure it works, but it just wasn't evident to me.

I ended up going with a mixture of locations:

- Amazon for:
- The Radio (it was ~$100 cheaper than Crutchfield or Sonic)
- PAC Steering Wheel Controls
- Metra Wiring Harness
- Scoche Dash Kit
- Antenna Adapter (Crutchfield didn't say we needed this, but every other stereo I've ever done has, so I'm assuming I'll need it

Crutchfield for the Android Adapter Cables for AppRadio (about $40 cheaper than Sonic, and $5 more than Amazon, but I had Paypal dollars to use, and Crutchfield was able to take those)

eBay for the Parking Brake Bypass. Was able to find someone in the same state, so it should be a 1-2 ship/receive. Although I thought $20 was pricey for the bypass, but that's what everyone seemed to have it going for on the Pioneer radios.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Crutchfield costs a little more but tou get dash kits, wiring adapters, step by step install instructions and free tech support. sonicelelectronix.com is good too

Looking to put an aftermarket radio in my X. Can anyone tell me where you've had the best luck with prices online? I know Crutchfield tends to be a little on the high side.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Main driving factor, was it had more steering wheel functions available than the Kenwood, and the Alpine didn't seem to document their Android support as much as Kenwood or Pioneer did. I'm sure it works, but it just wasn't evident to me.

- Amazon for:
- Metra Wiring Harness
- Scoche Dash Kit
- Antenna Adapter (Crutchfield didn't say we needed this, but every other stereo I've ever done has, so I'm assuming I'll need it

Crutchfield for the Android Adapter Cables for AppRadio (about $40 cheaper than Sonic, and $5 more than Amazon, but I had Paypal dollars to use, and Crutchfield was able to take those)

eBay for the Parking Brake Bypass. Was able to find someone in the same state, so it should be a 1-2 ship/receive. Although I thought $20 was pricey for the bypass, but that's what everyone seemed to have it going for on the Pioneer radios.

Let us know how it works out. I'm looking to upgrade too and we have similar tastes and needs. I'm looking to see how the Android integration works.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

- Amazon for:
- Metra Wiring Harness
- Scoche Dash Kit

I installed that exact unit about a month ago, you should have saved your money on those android cables I bought the same thing and still cant get "appradio" to work so I basically have an expensive built in charger. But minus that its a great HU. Make sure you manually do the levels because the presets sound horrible.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed that exact unit about a month ago, you should have saved your money on those android cables I bought the same thing and still cant get "appradio" to work so I basically have an expensive built in charger. But minus that its a great HU. Make sure you manually do the levels because the presets sound horrible.
Do you know which RCA plug is which speaker output from the Metra harness? I didn't see any labeling on mine or in the package. It looks like the colors match the Pioneer harness, but of course there's no wiring diagram provided there either. If you can't remember, I guess I can always do it via trial and error.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
nice unit, looks like i might upgrade my appradio2, nice to see pioneer is adding appradio to its other headunits with more functionality.

ugh, ordered from amazon, with the sirusXM addon :( stupid forums making me aware of things i have to buy... thanks for the heads up with amazon being 100$ cheaper, and since i already have the harness, dash kit, wheel controls adapter and parking brake bypass done its plug and play :D

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Do you know which RCA plug is which speaker output from the Metra harness? I didn't see any labeling on mine or in the package. It looks like the colors match the Pioneer harness, but of course there's no wiring diagram provided there either. If you can't remember, I guess I can always do it via trial and error.
Not off the top of my head but I have a diagram in my car I can check out tonight after work and let you know. But from what I remember the colors matched exactly on mine. The one called "Antenna" is actually remote turn on though. Let me know if you got the backup cam, theres a wire in the drivers door than can be tapped to activate that when you put it in reverse instead of running a wire to the taillight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not off the top of my head but I have a diagram in my car I can check out tonight after work and let you know. But from what I remember the colors matched exactly on mine. The one called "Antenna" is actually remote turn on though. Let me know if you got the backup cam, theres a wire in the drivers door than can be tapped to activate that when you put it in reverse instead of running a wire to the taillight.
I looked on the back of the Metra package - gave me everything I needed on the RCA plugs for audio. I failed to notice that the first time around.

I did get a backup camera. I saw a post about tapping in to a wire in the driver's door panel area. Looks like I'll be installing tomorrow night. I was going to try and find that post again, but if you have the info, I'd love to see it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts