Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
It's the daytime running lights.
Got it, thanks G_T. Used to DRLs as the abbreviation.

My DRLs as mandated by Canadian law, do not work with the aftermarket HIKARI 9007/HB5 LED Headlight bulbs I installed in January 2020. 9,600 lumens

No matter. As a matter policy, I always drive with all 4 corners of lights on. Under the right light conditions, so many automobiles literally disappear on the road.

The Hikari bulbs work well but I am waiting for the Nineo II 110W 20,000 lumen LED bulbs to become available in Canada and to survive a couple of reviews by Xterra owners. Time is on my side.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The lights arrived yesterday and I installed them without much of an issue. The bulb retaining collars don't fit as-is but are really easy to mod. The flat section on the inner collar needs to be removed so I just used a pocket knife to trim those off and then they were good to go.

I'll post some pics tonight but on my first drive last night with them I was surprisingly impressed. The light is clean, not blotchy at all, and the cutoff is somehow right where it's supposed to be and I didn't even need to adjust the headlights. Looking at it from the front there isn't excessive glare and the high beams function as normal. Overall I'm happy with them and the 6k color matches my front lightbar so with the HB's on the lighting is one consistent color which really fills the road up evenly.

I've been really skeptical of LED bulbs in the headlights for a long time but I think these might have finally changed my mind. Only downside was the look on my girlfriends face when I accidentally mentioned how much they ended up costing me haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last weekend I installed a set of the Nineo II 20,000lm LED's.

I'm extremely happy with the light output compared to the various Sylvania halogens I've used in the past. They seem to send light quite a bit further down the road and things like road markers, painted lines, and concrete dividers/barriers that are further out are now very noticeable, where I would never have seen them in the past with halogens.

They were expensive to bring up to Canada at $187 CDN, looks like you can get them for like $85 USD on Amazon.
NINEO 9007 LED Bulbs ,20000LM 110W HB5 Lights

The install was simple with no modifications to the collars needed, I did have to follow some of the members instructions on here to get them in. Trouble getting Nineo LED Headlight Bulbs to lock into...

I found I didn't need to raise or lower the beam angle, the cutoff line seems to be clean when I checked against a wall on a flat surface. I had adjusted the cutoff line years ago when I lifted the truck and it doesn't seem like I need to adjust it now. Pulling up behind small cars I can tell my lights are not hitting/lighting up their side or rear view mirrors, and I haven't been flashed once by oncoming traffic. If I stand out in front of the truck I'm not blinded when the low beams are on, however, when I turn the high beams on light does seem to scatter everywhere, its blinding, and seems to project light higher up on trees/road signs, but doesn't appear to send light all that much further down the road then the low beams.

It does suck to lose the DRL aspect, but its not a big deal to just drive with the headlights on during the day.

I'm happy with the purchase in terms of light output, but we'll now see how long they last. Its also great not having to use my Hella LED fog lights to try and help out in a desperate attempt for more light. In my experience so far it has made a significant improvement in night driving.

Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Font

Below is with no headlight lights on (just parking lights on):
Water Building Automotive lighting Plant Window

Below is with low beams on:
Water Automotive lighting Plant Building Light

Below is with my 20" Nilight bumper light bar on for comparison:
Plant Automotive lighting Car Building Nature

I unfortunately didn't take a pic with the halogens in or a pic with the high beams on. These are looking down hill on a very rainy night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that by buying any LED headlight, you do not need to buy an additional regulator. Buying headlights in any online store, you can just install them, and they will work fine. If you do not know how to install them correctly, it is better to ask for help at a car service. I don't know much about cars, so I only replace headlights at a car service. Last month I bought Vont Smart Car Light Strip to light the inside of the car. I was able to install them myself.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My passenger side Katanas, from the original frontier forum thread, just dimmed to unacceptable levels. Amazon tells me I bought them in nov of 2018, so 3.5 years of much better light output. Not bad.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts