Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
986 Posts
I installed a pair of Nineo Gen II yesterday afternoon that I bought off Amazon. Drove to work today, excited to try them out and its pouring rain. So I can't rate them yet. However, it is much better than my halogens were. I could almost not see my halogens on the street when it was raining. I'm heading to Door County this weekend and will be able to test them out on some dark logging roads. I'll follow up Monday.
Unscientific review time. They're much better than the stock halogen bulbs. I haven't gotten flashed. The cut off line seems to be sharp when I aimed them at my garage door. The brights are BRIGHT. Appear to be well made. Only $50 so why not?

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
704 Posts
I have had leds for over a year without any flashing. If you buy the correct style for reflector housing and aim them correctly you will be fine. Correct style being the ones with a line of leds mimicking halogen bulbs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
The GTR Ultras I have come apart the same way but when you put everything back together the heat sink is just a little to large to slide inside the collar and lock in place.

I’ve looked for aftermarket retention collars but haven’t found any as yet. Yes I did check Doorman, eBay and Amazon. Admittedly, my googlefoo is weak. Maybe someone with some mad 3d printing skillz would be willing to print some up without the collar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today I caved. I spent all day reading about Morimoto M2 LED retrofits and their newly released LED bulbs along with S3 LED fog lights. I developed a acute case of sticker shock and briefly remembered I already have a set of GTR LEDs. Against community wisdom I decided to modify the collars. New collars are significantly cheaper than the lights I mentioned above.
Took about an hour to grind down both collars since I only have a carbide bit for a battery powered drill which had to be recharged twice during the process. Once the collars were modified everything came together like it should have in the first place.
I’ll add pics of the lights tomorrow once I get them adjusted.
Here is the trimmed collar:

You can see the original collar in my previous post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Notice this bumped thread and dove into this topic. Came across bulbfacts.com during that process. Found a comment re the DDM Saber in the Frontier, quoted below. Still looking for grapevine commentary re the Lumibright XT1 G2. I'll be upgrading Thanksgiving, so still have some time to suss out options.
Best LED bulb for Nissan Frontier based on trying several kits
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) confirms my anecdotal perception that the reflector headlights on this truck (2019 Nissan Frontier) "suck". So far I have tried Nineo, Cougar, SoCal, Beamtech, Katana and Sealight LED kits (all latest Gen), as well as Sylvania Ultrastars and Voltage Automotive "Polarize White" halogens - all bulbs I have run successfully in different cars/trucks/bikes over the years - trying to bring the (particularly bad, IMO) reflector lights on this truck up to speed. Bulbfacts rated this kit as the best bulb in a reflector housing so I gave it a shot.

None of the previous bulbs produced a satisfactory beam spread on low and/or pushed enough light downrange on high beam, with the exception of the Nineos; the DDMs are slightly brighter on L beam than the Nineos. These bulbs produce a reasonably clean cutoff line, slight-marginal shadowing/reflector anomalies, and push light far enough downrange to be useful on high beam (dark roads, rural areas). Actually the high beam is impressive. Fan noise is insignificant and is hard to hear even with the engine off. No installation issues.

Hope that helps - especially my fellow Frontier owners - check out the IIHS website and see the problem firsthand

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Notice this bumped thread and dove into this topic. Came across bulbfacts.com during that process. Found a comment re the DDM Saber in the Frontier, quoted below. Still looking for grapevine commentary re the Lumibright XT1 G2. I'll be upgrading Thanksgiving, so still have some time to suss out options.
Nice post. None of the Halogen replacements are as precise as the projector style HID or LED. If I had a lot of time and a big toy budget (w/no kids in college) The Morimoto M2 LED retrofit would be my goto. This kit is really nice an the output is clean, bright, & precise. They’re even coming out with a set of drop in light buckets for the Fronty if you happen to drive one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@NWCoffeeGuy, after looking at the HID upgrade routes, even the more expensive LED options are more affordable.

Re the Nineo G2, apparently TechMax G2 is identical but cheaper and slightly better. Link. (Note: Fiesta forum, so ignore reflector commentary.)

Re the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0, apparently those don't work well with our Xettra housing. Negative Xterra-specific comments link and link. Quotes below. I'm less concerned about fitment fanfare, as that might just require creativity like you with your GTR LEDs. It's the pattern commentary that is concerning. If it doesn't like our reflector, then there's not much one can do about that. With the premium price tag, there are other more sure options.

they wont fit 9007 housing without modifcations
they wont fit on a 2007 xterra with a 9007 housing i had to modify the bulb and the beam pattern is also poor will never buy these again
Waste of time and money - they don't fit 9007 headlights
Not a 9007 bulb even though the package listed them as a 9007 bulb. After spending hours trying to get these to fit in my Nissan Xterra's headlight assembly, I finally gave up. One of my previous bulbs had blown, so I needed new bulbs, but these do not line up with the locator tabs that are in my headlight. I tried rotating them every possible orientation, but they only ever have 2 of the 3 slots align with the headlight. The third is always touching the metal collar right next to the remaining slot, but it doesn't fit in. I cut my original bulb off and aligned the two collars so I could check the positioning, and sure enough these bulbs are .1" off from where the true 9007 bulb's locator slot is. Don't waste your time or money because these aren't going to fit without damaging your headlight assembly.

I contacted Morimoto and havent heard back. Given that they dont list the 9007 bulb on their website, I'm guessing they know about the alignment issue and just arent willing to own up to the issue.

Overall, a very disappointing experience given Morimoto's name and general reputation.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Today I caved. I spent all day reading about Morimoto M2 LED retrofits and their newly released LED bulbs along with S3 LED fog lights. I developed a acute case of sticker shock and briefly remembered I already have a set of GTR LEDs. Against community wisdom I decided to modify the collars. New collars are significantly cheaper than the lights I mentioned above.
Took about an hour to grind down both collars since I only have a carbide bit for a battery powered drill which had to be recharged twice during the process. Once the collars were modified everything came together like it should have in the first place.
I’ll add pics of the lights tomorrow once I get them adjusted.
Here is the trimmed collar:

You can see the original collar in my previous post.

Here is the lights installed. I’d venture they are 50% brighter than the Silverstars I was running. Beam pattern is about the same to which is nice.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Not yet. Won’t be out after dark until Friday after work. Will take a couple snaps then since you asked nicely.
Some observations now that I’ve driven with them the past couple night.

The GTR’s are definitely brighter. I can tell I have my headlights on under bright streetlights where I previously could not.

I would rate low beams to be as good as the majority of halogen bulbs. Brighter, tho slightly blotchy. Light isn’t evenly spread across the scene. Not bad enough to bother me. Just noting for this review. The high beams seem overly dispersed as in when on they really don’t add much more light to the scene.

Are they worth the $100 I paid. At twice the cost of halogens, probably not. Would I have been happy if I’d paid the full price of $200 No.

Low beam^^^

Low Beam w/LED Driving lights on (cheap Amazon bulbs)^^^

High Beam^^^

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had my Xterra for about a month now and I'm frankly amazed at how bad the stock lights are. went ahead and did some research, here and on frontier forums and narrowed my choice down to two different brands: Katana and Hikari 2020. I'll be upgrading both headlights and the fog light to. I have two questions though:

1) have any one of you here had any experience with the Hikari 2020 9007 bulbs in particular? A member of the frontier forums has shared some pics of the beam shots for both Hikari 2020 and Katanas and seems like the Hikari 2020 might be the best uniform beam pattern, even better then the more premium Hikari Ultra brand lights (Katanas are close second).It might be very different for the Xterra headlights though, so I need some more info on this.

2) The Katanas have different style of h11 led bulbs. some are I guess "regular", some are "slim" versions and some are specifically denoted as "fog light" bulbs. the fog lights variants are half the price and their light output rating is much lower compared to the standard versions - 2800 lumens vs 10000/12000 lumens. It has to be noted that the amazon vehicle fitment thingy on top says that the fog light types fits my vehicle and other two DON'T. so my question regarding the fogs are as follows - has anyone used regular, slim and fog light specific version H11 katanas for their fogs and what's the opinion on them? specifically the fog lights - are they better then the stock halogens and/or much worse then the regular/slim h11 variants? if I'm going to pay 25 usd for fog light leds, I might just as well pay double that and have insanely bright and useful fogs.

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
704 Posts
I've had my Xterra for about a month now and I'm frankly amazed at how bad the stock lights are. went ahead and did some research, here and on frontier forums and narrowed my choice down to two different brands: Katana and Hikari 2020. I'll be upgrading both headlights and the fog light to. I have two questions though:

1) have any one of you here had any experience with the Hikari 2020 9007 bulbs in particular? A member of the frontier forums has shared some pics of the beam shots for both Hikari 2020 and Katanas and seems like the Hikari 2020 might be the best uniform beam pattern, even better then the more premium Hikari Ultra brand lights (Katanas are close second).It might be very different for the Xterra headlights though, so I need some more info on this.

2) The Katanas have different style of h11 led bulbs. some are I guess "regular", some are "slim" versions and some are specifically denoted as "fog light" bulbs. the fog lights variants are half the price and their light output rating is much lower compared to the standard versions - 2800 lumens vs 10000/12000 lumens. It has to be noted that the amazon vehicle fitment thingy on top says that the fog light types fits my vehicle and other two DON'T. so my question regarding the fogs are as follows - has anyone used regular, slim and fog light specific version H11 katanas for their fogs and what's the opinion on them? specifically the fog lights - are they better then the stock halogens and/or much worse then the regular/slim h11 variants? if I'm going to pay 25 usd for fog light leds, I might just as well pay double that and have insanely bright and useful fogs.

thanks in advance :D
I have some hikaris from a few years ago. They have been great low beams. I don't use the high beams ever as they don't seem to add much. I do have spot cubes in the grill that work far better than the high beams.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
ordered different leds compared to what I was going to. instead of going with katana or hikari, I went with the Nineo II 45 watt 16000lm kit, which is new for 2020 and which they claim is even brighter then "regular" 30 watt kits. theres also a 55 watt kit which should be even brighter, but the 45 watt ones were cheaper 😁

for the fogs, I went with the Nineo II "small" H11 bulbs, instead of the fog light specific kit. All in all, it came to about 68 usd with the special promotions and coupons and free shipping. Will update you when I get them

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
193 Posts
ordered different leds compared to what I was going to. instead of going with katana or hikari, I went with the Nineo II 45 watt 16000lm kit, which is new for 2020 and which they claim is even brighter then "regular" 30 watt kits. theres also a 55 watt kit which should be even brighter, but the 45 watt ones were cheaper

for the fogs, I went with the Nineo II "small" H11 bulbs, instead of the fog light specific kit. All in all, it came to about 68 usd with the special promotions and coupons and free shipping. Will update you when I get them
I’m a big fan of my nineos. So much better than stock.

·
Registered
2007 X 6MT, 2013 P4X 6MT
214 Posts
Just ordered a set of Morimoto HID in 35w. Opted for 35 over 55 as my high beams will be augmented with other lights. I've had rotten luck with LED for low beams in other vehs, so hoping this will fix the horrible stock lights. This is my first winter with the X, and commuting home in total darkness now. Will post results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just ordered a set of Morimoto HID in 35w. Opted for 35 over 55 as my high beams will be augmented with other lights. I've had rotten luck with LED for low beams in other vehs, so hoping this will fix the horrible stock lights. This is my first winter with the X, and commuting home in total darkness now. Will post results.
yeah, the headlights might as well be stickers, they are that useless to me. at first I though it was because the vehicle has been lifted a little, but as the forward rake hasn't changed, the headlights are still properly aimed. the bulbs are weak or the headlights just suck. replacing with leds seem like the only viable option, other then going with much more expensive hid conversion kits.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
205 Posts
ordered different leds compared to what I was going to. instead of going with katana or hikari, I went with the Nineo II 45 watt 16000lm kit, which is new for 2020 and which they claim is even brighter then "regular" 30 watt kits. theres also a 55 watt kit which should be even brighter, but the 45 watt ones were cheaper 😁
Let us know how the installation goes...

81 - 100 of 133 Posts