Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 07 X SE with only about 2k on it so far. I would like to keep it a while and people are saying that the K&N air filter filters the air better and more efficiently than the stock filter. My question is, are there any stock parts that should be replace to decrease wear and make it last as long as possible? If so, what are the best brands of this part to get/easily install and operate(I've heard some intakes have to be oiled after cleaning some are covered by a box, stuff like that). The reason I would install these is because I do a couple 5 min. trips in my X for the most part, and I know that is not the way to make it last, so anything that helps with that its great, as long as it dosen't add cabin noise.

·
on line
874 Posts
almost anything is going to be better than stock...I use the airaid intake(its like the K&N), but I am gonna open up a can of worms here and start the good ol oiled vs dry air filter..... the airaid is an oiled filter, that means when you "clean" it you have to let it dry and then re-oil. where as other filters, amsoil(sp?) is a dry filter that flows more air than the stocker...

·
on line
3,218 Posts
The Q is about airfilters, not intake types.. Amsoil FTW too. CAI on this truck is mostly superfluous.

·
on line
735 Posts
The best filter is the paper one, but I do like the afe pro-guard-7filter media. It allows more flow but nearly the filtration that paper has.

·
on line
1,977 Posts
Rmatzen and miles,why don`t you use the SEARCH box for Volant.I think it will answer most of your questions.You`ll notice everyone who has the Volant loves em.You can always replace the oiled filter with a dry one from Amsoil. :hello1:

·
on line
1,208 Posts
The benefit you would get between the oiled and the dry is that if you off road, your oiled filter (K&N) will get clogged with dirt from the oil. The dry filter (amsoil) will not get clogged. You can purchase the Volant kit and Buy the Amsoil replacment filter like what Mcampana did HERE. And if you go that route you will want to do THIS.

By the way what in the world does FTW mean, I must not ba as hip as you guys.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
SHADOW said:
Rmatzen and miles,why don`t you use the SEARCH box for Volant.I think it will answer most of your questions.You`ll notice everyone who has the Volant loves em.You can always replace the oiled filter with a dry one from Amsoil. :hello1:
HA you just beat me out posting my last comment. I did the work for them. :cheers: hehehe

·
on line
3,218 Posts
lol, when I grew up it meant "fawk the world." Mostly prison tattoos for surly types.. Now, it seems to have taken on "for the win."

·
on line
1,208 Posts
DBAX said:
lol, when I grew up it meant "fawk the world." Mostly prison tattoos for surly types.. Now, it seems to have taken on "for the win."
Thats what I thought, but was just guesing. People in the Army that are tired of it and ready to get out once there time is done write FTA on stuff.
F#%K THE ARMY. lol

·
on line
874 Posts
wperdigon said:
why not go with a cold air option? If they don't make one for your vehicle, (which I doubt) you can always make one yourself out of piping purchased on Ebay
Cold air oping not good for going off road...works like a straw sippin water in to the intake, I know there are by-passes and such but its just not realistic unless you drive a street machine, even then you hit one puddle wrong and there goes your day.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i wouldn't trust the bypasses, guy i knew a few years back just finished a b series swap in his civic, it rained, he went though a puddle, not knowing it was a little deeper then he thought, sucked water right past the bypass and hydrolocked the engine

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I actually did do a search before posting this thread but couldn't find anything that actually compared K&N to volant and other brands of air/oil filters. I also didn't know if some were more difficult to install. After reading your replies I can't undersand why anyone would even make an oiled air intake. It seems to me like it is more effort to clean and will just get clogged easier as it is, so what is so great about them?

·
on line
564 Posts
Rmatzen said:
...After reading your replies I can't undersand why anyone would even make an oiled air intake. It seems to me like it is more effort to clean and will just get clogged easier as it is, so what is so great about them?
A quick google search found this....

K&N Filters Web Site said:
The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice.
Rob

·
on line
80 Posts
brutus_skx said:
The benefit you would get between the oiled and the dry is that if you off road, your oiled filter (K&N) will get clogged with dirt from the oil. The dry filter (amsoil) will not get clogged.
So why isn't the dry filter getting clogged? Because it is letting all of that dirt into the engine?

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Walrus said:
brutus_skx said:
The benefit you would get between the oiled and the dry is that if you off road, your oiled filter (K&N) will get clogged with dirt from the oil. The dry filter (amsoil) will not get clogged.
So why isn't the dry filter getting clogged? Because it is letting all of that dirt into the engine?
No. What I have been told from knowledgable people is this: If you go OFFROAD where there is a large amount of dust on the trail, the oil in the filter will mix with the dust creating a "wet" clog faster (in less miles) than the dry element will. The dry element will catch the dirt with the whole filter sytem, where as the oiled filter catches the dirt on the top layers creating ablanket effect on the filter. So you have to clean your filter at say 8,000-10,000 miles rather than say 20,000.

If somehow I have this tottaly wrong then someone please correct me.

·
on line
874 Posts
I agree it makes sense with the wet clogging action....when i have to clean mine is when i will go to amsoil...for now what came with the airaid is fine.... :cheers:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts