Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I heard a squeaking coming from the front and every time I push on the gas it got louder by the time I got home it was pretty much gone then as i let it idle and I looked around it totally went away. So i went in had dinner came back out and it was back so I got some belt dressing and but some on the belt but not a lot the can was pretty empty but the squeak went away drove it around no squeak.
Got up this morning squeak is back drove it to work about 10 minutes pulled in squeak was gone. Seems like as soon as it warms up the squeak goes away. X has 52,000 miles on it I have been off-road on some fire roads pretty dusty the engine bay is dirty but not bad I keep it pretty clean. Belt looks like it is in good shape not fraying. No check engine light alternator is charing checked it and temp is normal.
Here are my thoughts belt may be bad or needs a good cleaning and some belt dressing, or adjustment if it was a bearing the squeak would most likely not go away. My first thought is to go home tonight remove the intake get some engine cleaner and get it all nice and clean all the pulleys belts everything. Then put on some belt dressing. If that does not work calling for reinforcements.
I hate the stealership so even some suggestion would be great just so I know what it may be and do not get hosed.
Any other ideas would be great. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I found a TSB ntb06-072a that talks about belt noise.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TSB is that technical service bulletin and is this covered by the dealer? and is NTB is that national tech bulletin and are those covered by nissan or warranty?

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i took the X in monday for the squeak. First not all TSB are not always covered it is only covered if it says recall and Nissan calls tsb nsb Nissan Technical Bulletin. I was also told NSB are advice for the tech to do the job. Okay makes sense. So i asked the service writer if this NSB is covered he says let me check and picks up the phone and starts asking if it is covered under my warranty I swear he was not even talking to someone he started talking way to quick. He gets off the phone and says yes it is covered. I added go ahead and change the oil while you have it. Couple of hours I get a phone call found the problem your belt needs to be replaced and the idler arm did not cause the problem and your VIN number is not in part of the NSB so it will be $175 to replace the belt.
So i said why did you tell me it was covered when you had not even checked my VIN in the first place he says he would of pushed it through I said great push this through if you were willing to push the other push this. He said he could not because the idler arm was not the cause.
Then he tells me the radiator hoses need to be replaced I said no they were replaced 1 year ago when I purchased the car. He says really like he is shocked then says yeah this check mark on the checklist is in the good box my fault.
So need less to say I had them fix it timing is always a issue for me. the belt for $175 I felt was fair and oil change for $24 was good and shuttle service.
This whole thing has reminded me what slim balls stealerships can be. I flet like he new up front he was going to charge me the phone call was faked. oh well it is fixed.

·
on line
707 Posts
If you haven't I would double check that your VIN isn't covered under that TSB. I had this repair done and was told that my VIN wasn't covered under the TSB either, I double checked it and they were wrong it was within the VIN range and they ended up fixing it under warranty.

·
on line
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hendrixfan I checked the numbers and he was right, they were not the right numbers. With that said I now will be checking things like this a lot more carefully.
I hope to drop it off again very soon as I get a low whistle sound from the rear end at about 65 to 70 mph. If I slow down or speed up past these speeds it goes away. I read someone else on this site had the same problem and you would never believe Rear Diff. So discouraging.
I think I would be more pissed but it is my wife's daily driver and it sees the trails maybe a couple of days a month and a friend of my wife work at the dealer and sold it to us really cheap. but i am still feel let down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts