Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I put a post regarding this topic before, but I am starting a new one with pictures and goodness. :) I went ahead and started the bedlining process of the cargo area. The cover panel was by far the most PITA step, so far. It is of a different material than the rest of the cargo area, and the prepping really didn't do much for it. It might have helped if I cleaned it off afterwards, too. Oh well. It is coming along quite nicely, and I will keep the pictures coming as the pieces are done.

The cargo area cubby cover (I don't know the PROPER name for it :) ). This is before I sprayed it. Notice the not-so-great prep job.

My *awesome* spray job. Not so much. The texture of the cover really prevented it from giving the duplicolor much to "stick" to, so it was almost like I just sprayed it black.

After a few coats and lots of drying, this is how the cover turned out, once placed back in the cargo area. Not a whole lot of difference in the picture, but it is a little bit different. Things don't slide quite as much when back there now. :)

The next thing I am spraying is the piece that surrounds the trunk latch, the part that is missing here. :) It seemed small enough to actually test out with the proper prepping.

Here is above trunk latch surrounder, removed and ready for prepping.

Sanded, cleaned, and ready for sprayage (although, it doesn't look like it in the pic).

After a couple of good, even sprays, it looks pretty good. Just have to let it dry now.

Next I chose to spray the right steel runner that is alongside the cubby cover. Did the prep and clean, and spray a 2 light coats on it.

Can't forget this piece, which accompanies the steel runner. It goes at the top, where I didn't spray the steel runner.

That is all for now. I got a little dizzy from all the spray. I will update tomorrow, once all have dried and been installed. :headbang:

·
on line
332 Posts
I have been debating doing the same thing. Good idea just doing the middle area. I was going to do the whole thing.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I am doing the whole thing. Just taking it little by little for now. That way I still have somewhat of a trunk at all times. If all goes well, I may branch out and bedline other plastic pieces. :D

·
on line
332 Posts
dont go crazy i have heard that the liner is a pain to clean.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to clean off the cubby cover panel, and I just used a wet washcloth. Now, it wasn't in need of a nasty, heavy-duty cleaning, but it came off with no problems.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you can hose it out, simple green, a scrub brush and a hose cleans bed liner great. But I wouldn't be hosing out the back of the X. ;)

Just curious, what did you use to prep the plastic surface?

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple Green is the shit. I wish I could drink it, but I will have to settle with inhaling it...responsibly, of course. :D

With the cubby cover, I just used some sandpaper that I had lying around. The rubbery material didn't really scratch up much. Plus, I was stupid and never rinsed it off before spraying. Also, I went crazy with the spray for that piece. With the other pieces, I bought an electric hand-sander and used 60-grit paper. Went over it thoroughly, and rinsed it off, letting it dry before I sprayed it with the Duplicolor. It came out looking pretty good, I think.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, mine was scratched up from the previous owner. And shit slides around to high heaven back there. The bedliner gives it a better texture, and the friction helps keep things more stationary. PLUS, it gives it a cooler look, IMO. We have a guy in VAXC that has his ENTIRE Xterra coated in bedliner. And I mean ENTIRE. :) For me, it's just something to do. Won't scratch as easy, either.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
You gotta try to post a photo of the guys X that is covered in the stuff. And i see how that stuff would keep shit from sliding around. My dogs crat always does, even if she is int it. And the dog weighs 80lbs! From that stand point, thats pretty cool.

And remember! Simple Grean is People! Peeeeeeeeeeeooooooooople!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
Ok, Ill ask. Whats the point of doing that in the first place? Its already a plastice easily cleanable surface.
Mark,

The plastic in the X is not the most durable stuff. My back is all scratched up and it's not all that easy to clean, especailly the storage bin lid. Bed lining the back is something I'm giving thought to down the road, once it gets so bad that I have to do something.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcampana said:
You gotta try to post a photo of the guys X that is covered in the stuff.
Not the BEST picture of it, but the best out of what I could find. You can kind of get a gauge of how it is. :)

**EDIT**
Just found a picture of how THAT truck started out. Simple beginnings. But, it is a novel concept. It is tough as shit. I am going to stick with the cargo area for now. :D

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My X will be like that one day. Once the scratches start to show metal and it starts to rust...Por-15 and Herculiner...here I come.

·
on line
339 Posts
if other people want a solution to keep stuff from sliding around in their cargo area.....you can remove those 4 plastic strips on the center floor piece and shoot it up with some rubberized coating or something and snap them back in.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Another way to keep things from sliding is toss in some of that rubber mat, the kind of material women use in the cabinets, we use to line a tool box or they make as fender covers. If you have a dog crate just kinda throw one down and set the crate on top and it won't slide. In trucking the use same system to hold cargo in the back from sliding. I think I get mine at Harbor freight in the tool box area.

MC

·
on line
5 Posts
I bedlined my dodge dakota. (the whole thing) and it like it. I would recommend using the roll on for areas where there will be heavy contact like the running board area, bumpers and cargo area since it goes on a little thicker and is more durable.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Note to anyone who is thinking about trying this...make certain to do a good prep job. I didn't do a very good one on the cargo cover and while transporting the Shrock rear bumper yesterday, it did some peeling of the cargo cover. All because I did a piss-poor job of prepping. I am redoing it now and in the process, I decided to take the rubber cover off the cargo cover thing. It is just held down with a sticky substance, as well as a few screws and staples. It gives the bedliner something better to stick to if you remove it. Just be sure to sand it down good and clean it. Then go to it. Learn from my mistake. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts