Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All my searching has turned up are painted roof RACKS, but nobody actually lining their roofs.

Anyone have done this before?

I think it'll look well on my 06, dark blue. My roof needs some care, and i use it too much to just have it repainted. Some peeling on the rain channels with surface rust. Besides all my plastics have been lined for 3-4years and that's worked out awesome. I'm bored, looking for a weekend project :iconbiggrin:

'06 6sp at 90k still gets 370mi to the tank (~21 mpg) and no problems to report. Tows 5500lb pretty often without so much as brake controller in norCal roads. All it ever "needed" was removing of the stupid TPMS sensors and adding of airbags on the rear suspension.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm interesting... i didn't actually do anything this weekend, but i think i like it!

What i would do differently is mask off as far as the rain channel and then it won't be so apparent from the side, if at all, that the roof was bedlined.

Anyone else with examples? I can't believe there's so few of us thinking about this and go the way of a basket or custom rack so stuff won't sit on the roof itself 0.o

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been kicking the idea around since I noticed my gutters chipping a few weeks ago and since I plan on throwing stuff on the roof.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I had mine Line-x'ed from gutter to gutter and color matched. I don't have any pics right now. I'll try to get some tomorrow if I get time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had mine Line-x'ed from gutter to gutter and color matched. I don't have any pics right now. I'll try to get some tomorrow if I get time.
I'd never heard of color matching bedliner. Hek and i have the same problem so Hek yea gets some pics :salute:

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
well, there's a bunch of threads on here about it. but almost all of them are missing pictures now as they are a few years old.

the only one i could find with any pics is this one
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52386

and it's just the rain gutters

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sweet thanks. Yeah some dead pictures links.

Well i've decided BUT things i will do differently,

Roof Rack comes off so everything gets painted.
Paint will only be Roof and rain gutters.
No paint tailgate. I really do not like the look of masked off spray paint on paint.

so paint as far as this guy painted:

And this is exactly what i DON'T want to happen, from one of the link Deltaphi216 provided:

Although i do understand the logic behind it. Purpose to remove the lateral bars and be able to slide things in and out of the roof... i probably won't do that and if anything i can paint it in the future.

Will update at the end of the weekend :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
just want to add that if your removing the whole roof rack, look at the how to regarding sun out rivnuts/ Nut-serts
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4576

I spun out 2 of them damn things when removing my stock roof rack to replace a broken mount. as well you will need to plug the 27 holes in the roof as to not get any bedliner in the thread of said rivnuts/ Nut-serts/what ever you want to call them

cheers and good luck.

make sure you post up pics of your progress

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ Excellent thanks - that is exactly what i was looking for. Game on for this weekend!

just want to add that if your removing the whole roof rack, look at the how to regarding sun out rivnuts/ Nut-serts
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4576

I spun out 2 of them damn things when removing my stock roof rack to replace a broken mount. as well you will need to plug the 27 holes in the roof as to not get any bedliner in the thread of said rivnuts/ Nut-serts/what ever you want to call them

cheers and good luck.

make sure you post up pics of your progress
good tip..! I slacked off last weekend so i'll try it this memorial weelekd :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Herculiner on My Roof - Booya!

My roof paint was a little tired from all the years of [ab]use. Rain channels had paint coming off, even surface rust. So finally decided to line my roof instead of getting it repainted.

Total cost ~$60 for the herc kit with brush roller paint etc

Steps:
Clean Troca
Scrape roof with supplied scotch pad
Clean some more
Mask roof and rivet nuts (took the longest)
Roll-on paint (3 coats was a LOT, also took like 8hrs to dry, rec 3days to cure)

blah blah.. onto the pictures..

rack off, with a nice collection of crap under the wind deflector.

End result. Still a bit tacky in the pics. Painted as far as the rain channels and stopped at the tailgate, can't even tell the roof is herculined! ...unless you're a giant.

I'm waiting for the stuff to cure so i can remount the roof rack. Still undecided whether i should line that as well with the Duplicolor Bedliner, as i did all the external plastics. That stuff has done great for the last 3years... Two other cars have come up against it in that and lost. Not a scratch. Once, just once!, did a pressure washer at a car cleaner took a chip off the bumper. Got home, sprayed two coats without masking. Like new again :iconbiggrin:

Thought i'd share, going to sleep now :wave:

-etxx

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks great. I guess you've made the decision easy for me. A couple questions though. Did you have enough with the kit and which kit did you buy? Did you have any trouble with the bolts like others have? I need to do this ASAP as I have all of the symptoms you did. Good job man.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow some mad hackzor moderstor combined my threads.. ok ill play

so I bought the gallon kit and barely used half of it! all I needed in addition was painters tape and a paint tray. Got it all done with just the roller that comes w the kit. Ie now I have a spare roller and a brush.

Bolts - some were tighter than others but they all came out. I put locking pliers on my star screw driver and that made it easy.... did not know others had problems. I thought it was easy (lucky?). Def do it. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Took care of some paint chips right against the windshield too. Great solution for $60!

Edit - Those wet spots around the bolts is actually WD40. Hit all the bolts when I saw how tight the first one was, then worked myself around..

·
Registered
577 Posts
The only thing that still bothers me is that there's a reason this x is white. I'm done with black cars. Especially one that we plan on spending tons of time traversing the desert in. I wonder if I could spray it white before putting the rack back on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
The only thing that still bothers me is that there's a reason this x is white. I'm done with black cars. Especially one that we plan on spending tons of time traversing the desert in. I wonder if I could spray it white before putting the rack back on.
Posted via Mobile Device
buy durabak. it comes in white. looks just like herculiner, but white. you will need to use the UV topcoat though

snoopy did his fenders in it MANY years ago.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The only reason I haven't done this yet, is those dreaded rack bolts.. just trying to get my old Xoskel rack on therr, I spun one of them. They are not fun at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts