Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but wasn't sure. Well, I was bored tonight so I just went ahead and did it.
I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. I think I may do my mirrors and rockers as well.

Before:

After:

Installed Pics.....

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

It is a very subtle mod; something that 99% of people who see it won't notice it, but it is something that adds to the overall look of the truck.
I took a couple pics from further away, but they didn't look any different.

Here is a link to the original thread on clubfrontier:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25680

·
on line
896 Posts
yea that does look pretty sweet until it's freezing outside and you accidentally scrape your knuckles :lauging6: kidding aside I think it looks pretty cool, how much of a PITA was it to take the handle off

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you guys open the door with your knuckles, I don't see how you could scrape them. If anything you would scrap the insides of your fingers, but it really isn't THAT rough.

Oh, and removing the door handles literally takes about 20seconds.
Here is a thread on clubfrontier about how to remove the handles:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24003&highlight=door+handle
For the weird star screw I just used a flathead screwdriver, they are not on tight by any means, it is really just a set-screw, so don't worry about not having star bits.

·
on line
628 Posts
I like this idea, it looks good. I will probably use it in the future when the outside plastic pieces start to fade.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
this didn't interfere with the gaps? adding more material wouldn't close them?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
125inA30zone said:
this didn't interfere with the gaps? adding more material wouldn't close them?
Nope.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Dude you are a god among men!!!! This is as good as done.... I might do it this weekend! The reason why i never did it was because the linex shop told me that it would almost for sure mess with the gaps, impeding it from going to its in and out position. Now that i know it doesnt.... its done!

OH... DID YOU DO THE PASSENGER DOORS??? Do the handles come off the same way?

·
on line
527 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Dude you are a god among men!!!! This is as good as done.... I might do it this weekend! The reason why i never did it was because the linex shop told me that it would almost for sure mess with the gaps, impeding it from going to its in and out position. Now that i know it doesnt.... its done!

Dont you have enough to do like plan a wedding. Let all of us poor guys catch up to you before you start doing more.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S_e_X-Terra said:
Well, I'm sure LineX would mess up the gaps, but that stuff is sprayed on anywhere between 1/8" and 1/4" thick; although this is called Dupli-Color Spray-on BEDLINER, is it pretty much just textured paint, so it is pretty thin, unless you really put on a TON of coats. I think I did like 6 light coats, but the stuff dries in 5min, so even though that sounds like a lot, it goes real quick. I like the rougher sandpaper-like texture, so I held the can about a foot away from the work, on the can it says like 6-8", but that gives more of an orange peel effect.

S_e_X-Terra said:
I have a KingCab Frontier, so my rear doors don't have exterior handles, so sorry, I am no help there. It is probably similar though. Hey, I just though..... maybe I'll do the tailgate handle and plastic handle surround.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I keep comming back and reading this thread and the isntructions on club frontier...........If people are worried about the handles fitting with the bedliner on them, you know, where the long part buts up against the shorter part. Why not just tape off that flat edge? Its not like it needs to be covered with the liner as well. Its never really going to be seen.

·
on line
78 Posts
Anybody know how to get the rear door handles and rear lift gate handle off so i can do them too? If now, when i figure it out, ill post it up!

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mcampana said:
I keep comming back and reading this thread and the isntructions on club frontier...........If people are worried about the handles fitting with the bedliner on them, you know, where the long part buts up against the shorter part. Why not just tape off that flat edge? Its not like it needs to be covered with the liner as well. Its never really going to be seen.
This is very true, however, you would then have an exposed edge on the paint which may make it more likely to chip. Just don't hose on the bedliner on that side and you'll be fine. This isn't a 1/4" coating like LineX, it is more like paint..... paint is thin.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts