Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed both front and rear sway bars on Friday. All weekend I drove on the mountain back roads around here. I noticed only one difference: my front end squeak is gone.

Just thought I'd chime in with my results.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Sounds good. Im gonna try to do this when i get my truck back from the dealer.

·
on line
750 Posts
I was wheeling in the Huachuca Mtns this weekend and the squeaking drove me insane.

Fortunately, the badassedness of my new suspension set up brought me back to sanity.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Sorry to hijack here Ricky, and I know that this squeak has been addressed before, but has anyone actually pinpointed the cause? Some were able to get away w/ tightening their hood bumpstops or adding some sort of felt piece, also heard of lubing/greasing the hood latch. I tried all of the above but still SQUEAKY!!!

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can tell you this. On Friday morning I removed the rear sway bar, extended my breather, and adjusted my hood rests.. bump stops.. whatever they're called. The squeak was still going strong. Even there when I would shut the door kind of hard. Saturday evening I removed the front sway bar and the squeak was not there. I have driven about 100 miles since removing the sway bar and it is not there.

I'm figuring it was most likely a bushing that was dry from road salt or something? A quick check of this for those who still have their front sway bar would be to spray the bushing with some good ol' WD40. It's not a sure way to check it, but is better than removing the sway bar if you are planning on leaving it installed.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Keep us posted on your experience driving without the front bar. The big question IMO is how it handles really hard, swooping, possibly evasive maneuvers. That's where it may still be noticeable.

You've got a bit more travel, yes, but you're going to get more body roll by definition, even if it's usually slight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts