Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am going to the beach (cape hatteras) in a couple months for 1 week and am wondering if turning off vdc is better than keeping it on? I will be going to a closer beach probably in a month or so to "play" and test but wanted to make sure I wouldn't get stuck by using VDC in 4x4 on sand. What are y'alls experience with beach driving and our 4x4 vdc equiped trucks?

Also, what is a good air-down for these trucks? I used to run 26psi on my last xterra, a 2002 xe with stock tires, and that worked fine both on and off sand at cape hatteras as long as I kept the truck under 50mph on nc 12 in between ramps..(though people would honk cause I was going too slow in a 55 zone.. I am concerned about driving more than a few miles in between ramps and maybe having a blowout etc and don't want to be airing up/down/up/down the whole trip....

Also, when should you disable vdc while in 4hi? I know 4lo disables it so that tells me something. what. i am not sure...

thanks!

btw,
2007 4x4 s auto tranny

-Bill

·
on line
14 Posts
I would like to know as well. I am going to Nags Head / Hatteras for a week of windsurfing and have been wondering about this.

Albert

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that supposedly you are to turn off the vdc because it will imit wheel spin etc which sometimes you need to power through the really deep stuff (oregon inlet entrance for example). I am looking for real worl experience. To me, I might forget to turn it off when i start up the truck after baking in the sun all day at the waters edge. Would I then get stuck? That's what I worried about. I suppose the test is to just keep it on and see how far you make it? Does having vdc on cause issues with the vehicles mechanicals like excessive wear? I know the ABLS is always on, which is supposed to be a good thing, but all that wheel slippage going on while on sand, is that bad for the brakes etc??

·
on line
106 Posts
I have been going to Hatteras my whole life. I have a 05 OR and I turn my VDC off when in the sand. Just make sure you go down to 18 psi and you will be straight. As far as the brakes go just clean the them after your trip. Take the wheels off and you will be able to see the sand left over.

·
on line
106 Posts
When you air down the X it depends on the sand and how dry it is. If your entering at Frissco Rod and gun its not to bad once you get to the beach. If your Down by the ferries I like to see how far I can get in 2wd. You can turn off the VDC anytime you want. I like to turn it off right before the ramp then engage 4x4. I always run 18psi to 22 psi and never have any problems. If your traveling from Avon I would air up and down each time.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
I liked the performance once the VDC was off, it made a huge difference in the traction in the sand. I was just at Kure Beach this past weekend and the X performed like a champ.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kure beach? or did you hit ft fisher and/or carolina beach? Is there another access down there? How much is it to go out on carolina beach? I heard 5$ for ft fisher.....

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Well I stayed at Kure beach, and hit up the beach at Ft Fisher. It costed $10 for the day, and $40 for the year, I only did the day pass cause I don't know how much longer I will be here in the area.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so how was the beach? was it very crowded? probably not since it cost 10$ and the time of year... how far can you go down on that beach?

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Wasn't really crowed at all, there are quite a bit of people fishing out there, a few sunbathing. You can drive a pretty good distance down the shore line, about 4-4.5 miles. Then you can walk the rest of the way to the end of the island.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome.. will have to go down there soon, probably 3 weeks...

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting to staff sgt or tech sgt?? (Not sure if that's the next step since it's been a while since I knew anything about Air Force ranks - Was in the CAP for a few years way back)....

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh, i see now, you'r senior airman? Going to Sergent???

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
congrats man!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts