MAX GEAR Rear Bumper
Hefty FabWorks 5 pc. Skid Plate Set
White Knuckle Off Road Rock Sliders
ARB rear differential cover
Nisstec rear shock mount skids

Wheels/Tires:
Stock Alloys
Goodyear DuraTrac LT285/75-16 (5)

Intro Comments: After walking away from a multi rollover off road accident in my Frontier, I decided to switch to the Xterra platform. The truck protected me so well in the accident, that there was no doubt I was sticking with Nissan for my next rig. Here is a link to a thread on Club Frontier about the accident: My Frontier gave it's life to save mine

As soon as the truck was declared totaled, I went to my local dealer with a list of PRO4X's available in CA. They were able to make a trade for my new rig and I took delivery about 10 days later. Here it is the day I brought it home.

Photo's

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The modification's begin

I pulled the Hefty Fabworks skid plates off of the Frontier. 4 out of 5 bolted right up to the X after refinishing them and replacing one bracket on the gas tank skid. The transfer case skid required some modification but with the help of a friend, I soon had the under carriage protected with 3/16" steel.

I also pulled the PRG UCA's and the Radflo 2.5" C/O's and sent them to Greg at PRG so he could go through them and ensure there was not any damage from the accident. He rebuilt them with all new seals in the shocks and new heim joints on the UCA's. Soon, I had the X lifted with the Radflo's and 650lb springs with PRG UCA's up front and OME spring's with the stock shocks in back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Glad you were okay and what a craptastic story. Congrats on the new X and excited to see the build coming up.

FYI the link in the original post has an extra "www.http.com" at the start of it that causes a error.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More armor

I placed an order for some White Knuckle Off Road sliders and they were on my door step in less than 5 weeks. The install went smoothly with the help of a friend and less than 6 weeks after getting the X, it was ready for some dirt!

I drove up to Big Basin State park right after we finished the install for some photo's. If you wondered what BC in my screen name was referring too, now you know!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White Knuckle Sliders fit the X perfectly

Here are some shot's of the sliders and how well they fit. I'm really happy with this purchase.

I have also bought and installed Weathertec Floor Liners front and rear. I purchased 2 of Sears small truck boxes for tool storage and picked up a couple 8 gallon Action Packers to hold my recovery gear and tools. Next up is the CB and antenna installation.

I'm looking forward to joining in on some of the trail run's with other New X members.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good Brian! How's it feel so far vs the frontier?

Hey shoot me an email about those dates in Jan again.
I love this rig! The new suspension is very well balanced and it drives much better than the truck ever did! The short time I have been off road with it showed me that the ability of the X will shine on the trail. The turning radius and ground clearance will allow me to go where the Frontier just would not go easily.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trail day

I decided to head down to Hollister Hills for some trail time today. This was the 2nd time I've had my new rig in the dirt. I know the trails in HH's very well as I had about 50 full days of wheeling there in my Frontier. I decided to run a couple of the tougher trails this time out and finally got a chance to engage the rear locker to help me up a couple steep and rocky sections.

I put my sliders to work on some rocks and also hit the rear differential cover on the rocks as well. One of my future changes will be the installation of an ARB iron cover. I also hit the passenger front leaf spring mount pretty hard but luckily none of these hits caused any significant damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
White Knuckle Sliders hardware issue's

After hitting the rocks a few times yesterday, I decided to climb under the X and check the mounting hardware for the sliders and skids. Since the sliders were installed less than 1 month ago and I've only been off road twice for a total of about 6 hours, I figured I might find some of the hardware slightly loosened. Instead I found that 1 washer had broken in half and fallen off the vehicle, leaving that bolt and nut just hanging from the bracket. When I tightened the corresponding bolt on the other slider, the washer popped and broke into 3 pieces. These were the vertical bolts on the front mount on each side. The washers that broke were under the nuts on top of the frame gusset. The hole at this location is a bit larger than the bolt supplied but it is obvious that the washers are inferior for their intended use.

As a former Mech Design Engineer I have done a lot of mechanical assembly using flat washers but I have NEVER seen this happen! I replaced the supplied washers with some that I had on hand and hopefully this solves this issue.

I suggest that anyone who has White Knuckle Off Road sliders installed on their rig, check the hardware on a regular basis before any issues arise.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3000 miles and new tires!

I have been researching tires and finally decided on the DuraTrac's in LT285/75R16. I worked a deal with my local tire dealer where they matched the online sale price at America's Tire.

I did the melt mod after trimming a small amount of the bottom edge of the fender back and have about 5/8" clearance. I may heat up the liner and push it back a little more but so far I have not been able to get them to rub. I'm super happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good, what are your measurements for the front and rear, from ground to inner fender?
Here are my measurements:

Drivers Front: 36 3/4
Passenger Front: 36 1/2
Drivers rear: 37 5/16
Passenger Rear: 37 1/4

I need to take some measurements when I am loaded for the trail. I may end up adjusting the front end up a little.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
After hitting the rocks a few times yesterday, I decided to climb under the X and check the mounting hardware for the sliders and skids. Since the sliders were installed less than 1 month ago and I've only been off road twice for a total of about 6 hours, I figured I might find some of the hardware slightly loosened. Instead I found that 1 washer had broken in half and fallen off the vehicle, leaving that bolt and nut just hanging from the bracket. When I tightened the corresponding bolt on the other slider, the washer popped and broke into 3 pieces. These were the vertical bolts on the front mount on each side. The washers that broke were under the nuts on top of the frame gusset. The hole at this location is a bit larger than the bolt supplied but it is obvious that the washers are inferior for their intended use.

As a former Mech Design Engineer I have done a lot of mechanical assembly using flat washers but I have NEVER seen this happen! I replaced the supplied washers with some that I had on hand and hopefully this solves this issue.

I suggest that anyone who has White Knuckle Off Road sliders installed on their rig, check the hardware on a regular basis before any issues arise.
I went through and checked torque on all the bolts on my sliders, skids, and bumpers last weekend. Both of these exact washers on my sliders were also broken. It's obvious that these washers aren't built for the torque used on the mount bolts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went through and checked torque on all the bolts on my sliders, skids, and bumpers last weekend. Both of these exact washers on my sliders were also broken. It's obvious that these washers aren't built for the torque used on the mount bolts.
I agree Rick. I am going to pick up some more hardened washers to replace the anodized washer's supplied and swap all of them out. I believe the issue is the size of the hole in that gusset plate causing the washer to flex downward when tightened but it should not break like that.

I hammered my Shrockworks sliders on my Frontier many times and NEVER had any hardware break. IIRC, the front mount also had a vertical bolt in the same location but the hardware was galvanized not anodized.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Engine Cover installed

When I opened the hood on my X for the first time, I was surprised to see that the engine cover was not there. I stopped by the dealer and spoke with the service manager and showed him the brackets for the cover sticking up. He told the service writer to get the cover for me but it took a while for it to come in.

I installed it today and it makes the engine compartment a lot cleaner. If you'd like one for your X, you can get it from OEM Auto Parts for about $20. Make sure you also order 2 bolts and 2 of the studs to mount it. This link is for the cover for a 2015.

OEM Auto Parts/2015 Xterra engine cover

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I agree Rick. I am going to pick up some more hardened washers to replace the anodized washer's supplied and swap all of them out. I believe the issue is the size of the hole in that gusset plate causing the washer to flex downward when tightened but it should not break like that.

I hammered my Shrockworks sliders on my Frontier many times and NEVER had any hardware break. IIRC, the front mount also had a vertical bolt in the same location but the hardware was galvanized not anodized.
Is all of the white knuckle hardware anodized? Mine set is supposed to show up on 1/27. I had the Shrock sliders beforehand also. I wonder if replacing all of the hardware before the install would be better.

I love the tire/wheel combo you have. It looks really good.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts