Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
429 Posts
Somewhat more than previous vehicles, but not excessive. I did go with the treated felt rings when I got a new battery and that has eliminated the corosion.

·
on line
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i had to replace my pos. termanal from corrosion. And now it starting to have corrosion on it again. Dont know how water is getting up in there to cause it. when i wash i always dry very good under the hood.

·
on line
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill have to look in to that lube stuff. i have the green flet but that doesnt seem to be working.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The stock battery just stinks. I was dumping baking soda and water on the terminals on a monthly basis and reapplying terminal spray.

Since I have replaced my battery, all is good.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
I always find myself cleaning my damn terminals. I am just waiting for my battery to die...

·
on line
272 Posts
Xtexas05 said:
yea i had to replace my pos. termanal from corrosion. And now it starting to have corrosion on it again. Dont know how water is getting up in there to cause it. when i wash i always dry very good under the hood.

I think the source for the water is the battery itself. I know that when ever I go wheeling my battery leaks all over. I wash it down but the corrostion keeps building. I just bought some battery clearner, it's a foam spray that you leave on for five minutes then rinse really good. It seems to work.

·
on line
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea hate to just go out and buy a new battery when this one still works, but the corrosion could cause a fire porblem.

·
on line
20 Posts
Just a quick FYI on this old topic but petroleum jelly works wonders here. I use it on every exposed connection where possible. Just coat that sucker and you are set for a year with no corrosion. I have used this since I bought my first motorcycle and was having issues with corrosion. I have also used it when rebuilding old ignition switches in classic cars. I pack the switch housing with petroleum jelly after I have cleaned all the contacts and before I reassembled the unit. I have taken apart these units years later and there is no corrosion at all. In a hot environment such as an engine compartment you will need to reapply this more often because it tends to thin up a little and run but there is always a good coating still left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts