Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change today on the X. I usually let the dealer do it the first year so if there are any issues they see I have a history of them maintaining it. Anyway, I open the hood and right off see the battery vent cap gone, acid over the top of the battery and hold down, then I find the cap down in front of the battery by the inner fender. From the clean look of the cap and the dirtiness of where it should be on the battery it looks to have been off some time. I took it into the dealer this morning and they're trying to convince me that corrosion is normal and sometimes the caps "boil off"? I asked that the battery and hold down be replaced and got told to make an appointment for next week and they will check everything out. If they tell me there's a prorated charge to replace stuff should I just get myself a better battery? I've only got 20K on the thing so it's way too soon to be worrying about the battery. I'm up in the mountains a fair amount and want a battery I can trust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just seems a little disconcerting to have battery acid sloshing around my engine compartment when I'm bouncing around up in the hills. I'd rather not break down in Hell's Canyon! Anyway, the crappy battery is a good excuse to for an upgrade before I put my power inverter and ham radio in. I was just surprised at the number of people that have had this issue. Real bad call on Nissan's part in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The fact they even used a non maintenance free battery says volumes.

Just seems a little disconcerting to have battery acid sloshing around my engine compartment when I'm bouncing around up in the hills. I'd rather not break down in Hell's Canyon! Anyway, the crappy battery is a good excuse to for an upgrade before I put my power inverter and ham radio in. I was just surprised at the number of people that have had this issue. Real bad call on Nissan's part in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine's gone, can't find it, any suggestions for a temp cover?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same problem

Thanks for the heads up
Yup I just noticed my battery cap also popped off and was in the inner fender.
1 cup of distilled water and I'm good to go

edit - not good to go. The extra water diluted the battery acid too much and the specific gravity went too low. Battery would not charge. Had to buy a new Costco Kirkland group 35 battery. Nice fit but it -10 outside. Grrr

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just had mine pop off

Battery had one side popped off just like in the OP's picture.
Loosest fitting caps I have ever seen in my life.
Truck only has 15K mi. so I think I may just put something over the caps to keep them in place for now.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Just get a new battery. Mine had 20k miles added water ofter, a couple cells weak. Went to Advance and got a gold battery for under $100.

Battery had one side popped off just like in the OP's picture.
Loosest fitting caps I have ever seen in my life.
Truck only has 15K mi. so I think I may just put something over the caps to keep them in place for now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!!
This happened to me!!!! I found it right after a stealership service. I left the shop drove 2 miles and all I smell is radiator fluid burning. I popped the hood expecting to see the cap not on right. First thing I see is the battery cover is missing. WTF??!!!?! Turns out "the cap was missing when you brought it in". That's a story for another time though.
It was such a strange occurrence that I've never heard of, so I brushed it off.
I'm glad someone else has been as bewildered as I over this!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts