Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

After years of abuse and quick battery swaps, both battery terminals on my X-terra have been bent out of shape, to the point of losing contact with the battery posts. Not to mention, they could use replacement due to corrosion over the long haul. I've tried bending them back into shape, but would have to make a few jigs to get the complex shape just right again... it's just too much work really.

Both terminals are fairly clearly modular parts, designed to be replaced without an entire harness (the negative terminal does have a short pigtail harness attached, but if I recall, it was clearly something which could be swapped). Of course, that doesn't mean Nissan sees it that way, and codes/stocks the parts individually.

Looking online at the standard parts places (CourtesyParts, Nissan's mainsite, Rockauto, etc.), I couldn't find anything available.

So, I did some digging in the forums to see if anyone has ever tried to find or order O.E. replacement battery terminals for a 2005 X (Not sure if they've changed the design since). Again, no luck, outside of aftermarket options.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding these parts, or outside of a visit to the junkyard, know if they are even available.

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am assuming your referring to the terminals, not the cables or the fuse panel attached to the hot cable? If so there are multiple threads on replacements in the electrical forum. For the Hot cable you need what the parts store will call a marine style terminal because of the embedded threaded stud. For the ground you have multiple options / style where you can cut off hte old end and screw the new end on.

Or you can get a OEM unit for the hot side from Flea bay for around 8 bucks delivered to your door. Just search for Nissan Batter Terminal.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I have replaced the fuse thing module on the positive side.... it looked like it was put in an oven and it got cooked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have fixed numerous Nissans and Infinitis. Once you do this your terminals will last 10x longer than the stock copper ones.

Go to Autozone and buy marine terminal pack. You get a + and a - "old school" lead terminals with threaded posts for attaching ring terminals. The + fits a battery + terminal. The - fits the -. If you use the + on the battery + terminal you will need to enlarge the holes in the fuse assembly and the one ring terminal to ft the threaded post. You also need to file some of the the lead off the sides of the terminal so the fuse assembly will fit it. Use a file [email protected] to trim the lead. Use a nut and a washer instead of the wing nut.

If you use the - terminal on the battery + they you need to ream the terminal hole larger. The - terminal has a smaller threaded post that fits the fuse assembly and ring terminal holes. This is not hard if you have the proper reamer. If you buy a single terminal like from Walmart, you will generally get a - one. Always try to buy the matching set of two, + and -. It costs the same.

One big problem with the Nissan design is that the stress the cables put on the battery + terminal will cause the battery case to crack thus leaking acid. They tug downward. Pull the whole assembly "up" to try and lessen the stress.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...A_0015079767&gclid=CPfjz5Wrj7wCFZPm7AodAw8ASQ

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I pretty much did what Busaboy said but I used a wing nut on my ground. Buy the marine terminals and cut the ground terminal off on your ground cable and have a ring put on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Be careful where you connect your extra grounds. The car measures battery current both in and out. If you bypass the current sensor on the negative lead, the circuit that controls the alternator may be fooled. You could end up over or undercharging the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Be careful where you connect your extra grounds. The car measures battery current both in and out. If you bypass the current sensor on the negative lead, the circuit that controls the alternator may be fooled. You could end up over or undercharging the battery.
THIS x2!

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
so are you saying my setup is wrong or ok?
Wrong. Instead of connecting your additional ground cables directly to the negative terminal on the battery, connect them at the ground lug under the battery tray (or add another ground lug and ground independently of any factory wiring). Follow the stock negative battery cable from the battery and you will see what I'm talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts