Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having starting problems about 2 week ago and I had a friend who owns a shop check the battery with his Interstate checker. It turns out that my battery was reading just below the good range and only putting out 400 cca's. I took it to the dealership to get it checked out and replaced and they said that it read good on their checker. Yesterday as I was leaving work the truck would not start at all. I had my friend replace the battery with an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus rated @ 800 cca actually reading 1050 cca's. I'll head to the dealership on Thursday with the bad battery to try to get them to pay for the battery. I know they probably wont pay for anything but its worth a try.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I would be concerned if the battery failed in only 15,000 miles. Even in the desert, batteries will last at least 2-3 years. There may be another underlying issue causing your battery to die.

Some autoparts stores will be able to test the battery, starter, and alternator for free. This will help ensure your new battery will not die an untimely death.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AZ-Ted said:
I would be concerned if the battery failed in only 15,000 miles. Even in the desert, batteries will last at least 2-3 years. There may be another underlying issue causing your battery to die.

Some autoparts stores will be able to test the battery, starter, and alternator for free. This will help ensure your new battery will not die an untimely death.
My friend checked all of that out when we replaced the battery.
I just got back from Nissan and they put the disconnected battery on their checker and it registered bad, they put it on the charger for about an hour, checked it again and it still registered bad. They ended up paying for 3/4 of the cost of the new battery. I figured that they wouldn't pay the entire cost so the receipt was written for 25% more than I payed in the first place.

·
on line
79 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but what kind of starting problems were you having? just out of curiousity if this problem shows up again

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
My stock battery lasted over 40K miles, but when it died, it died quick...ie overnight.
My stock battery hit the dust today. Went out to start it this morning @ 10:00 and it bearly started, by noon the truck won't start at all. Battery was 39 months old with 28,330 miles on it. Bought a DieHard Gold ~ working good once again.

·
on line
1,234 Posts
my stock batter is somehow still kicking, we got it replaced once around 10k (bought the car new back in 05') because the heat just manslaughtered it down here in phoenix, but it's a direct OEM replacement, and this one is still rockin @ 90k, so.. *shrug*

·
on line
27 Posts
The stock battery in my Fronty died within the first 10,000 miles. I had the same thing happen with my 1st Gen X, too. The first time at the dealer they both tested good, but the next time they did not.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
you should check the water level on your battery every 2 months..... according to manual the water level should touch the cylinder you are looking down into.... i would drip water untill i could see the water stop shaking once it touched the 1/2" cylinder wall.

another tip... turn your key to on position/ watch your volt meter.... and keep watching it while starting engine.... you will begin to see the needle go down lower as your battery life begins to drop.

my last battery replacement, i upped the cranking amps.... just to have extra juice.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
i had a crappy stocker... replaced at about 12k miles. No warning just died. Didn't bother even checking it out. Just bought a new battery.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
42K on my stocker so far...haven't noticed anything. But I am going to go check the water level since I never have before.

·
on line
14 Posts
I made it to 55k with the stock battery, but with its first taste of AZ heat that battery died w/in a week. Whats more, a week later the OEM replacement in my wifes Maxima died while it was just 3 days under the 3 year free replacement . Blessing in disguise!

·
on line
2,883 Posts
My stocker was dead when I picked it up at the dealership (new 06 bought in feb 07). Sub-zeros temp and it wouldn't start or hold a charge. Cold & setting so long surely didn't help. Gave me a new OEM on the spot.

Sounds like a lot of the OEM's are crap. Got just over 20k and will be changing out shortly to go with the winch.

Speaking of which, gotta go get new batterie"S" (plural) for the powerstroke friday before leaving on vacation. Getting weak and turning over slowwwww. Checked alternator out last night and good. One battery reading .2v different from the other when disconnected.

DAMN expensive that will be!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
214 Posts
OEM'S are made by interstate. When I ordered in OEM's, they are tagged (stickered) and delievered to me from the Interstate dealer here in town.

Don't be too worried about the quality of them, I see a few dozen batteries take a dive on BRAND new vehicles because of lack of operation. Meaning that lots of vehicles sit on lots for weeks without being moved or started, and that causes them to drain the battery.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with mine. 16,000 miles and struggling to start in 2 degree weather (starting to blizzard up here). Frustrating after having a diehard battery in my Honda Accord which starts right up in the worst blizzard.

It started with the remote start (which i'm not impressed with cause I didn't choose it). I'll watch it fail to start and then get in and fire it right up. Also, it's a 2-way, but I'm not getting any response even when standing right next to the vehicle although door locks with remote work.

My plan is to start with the battery, then move to the remote start.

·
on line
157 Posts
Another victim of the dead battery at 15k miles here, ha! Vehicle is 2.5 years old so it sounds like it was time for it to commit suicide.

What has everyone replaced it with?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts