Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, wheeling season is now fast approaching. If I'm to believe what I've read on this forum (and 99% of it is true), the stock battery is a leaky, acid-spilling piece of shite when wheeling. What do you guys recommend as a replacement? I know I could go balls-out and get a crazy expensive Optima or something, but aside from that, what more reasonably-priced options exist that will eliminate the stocker's problems?

Thanks....

·
on line
332 Posts
my stock battery sucked too!

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I actually just replaced my battery and went w/ the Duralast Gold. I was talking to the guy at AutoZone about going w/ the Optima Red-Top and explained to him I just wired my Hella's and plan on putting more lights up top eventually. He recommended the Duralast over the Optima, said they were just as equal but about $60 cheaper! So far so good.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly, if you are not going with an Optima, Exide Orbital, etc... then the plain old walmart battery would do just fine.

I have the Napa Blue top in my Xterra (it's an Exide Orbital) and a walmart POS in my Jeep (my Optima took an early crap and I needed something right then and there). I had plans on changing out the battery in the Jeep with an Exide Orbital, but so far I haven't had the need. The walmart special has been running good, even with some winch use.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: If you don't mind spending $190.00 + for an OPTIMA batt, for your X, maintenance reqiurements are beyond casual use--

--Get a good KIRKLAND from COSTCO--

--My ISSUE battery from Nissan is in primary condition and I bought a second battery from COSTCO, that I keep in my trailer for miscsellaneous dutys and can be used to replace the X Batt., if failure occurs in the boondocks , cost $60.00 bucks and comes with 3 yr FREE replacement and then starts the prorate dating--

--

--Right next to the diamond locker, with distr/power outlet and Battery isolation switch--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
XterraDude said:
Optima Yellow top :thumbup: I got mine off Amazon for only $170 shipped and it has the correct terminal sides for the Xterra. I loveeeeee this battery.
I assume you have the D35 and not the D34 then?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, I use it when I WANT TO--

--I guess you guys missed this trip on Feb 9/10, didn't ya ???

--

--I posted it a couple of times, or it could be just--

--FANtASY or PHOTOSHOPing--

--Only, me and the SHADOW KNOW DAT !!

·
on line
5,614 Posts
:clown: JIMBO, You're so super cool--

--always got an opinion on everything, never seem to have any questions--

--you're such an expert on so many different topics!--

--That matching trailer - looks like you went to a lot of effort and expense--

--me personally don't need to bring so much stuff along. You'd think that was a camper or something. Seems it never gets dirty--

--and the fact that you painted it to match :pukeleft: --

--BUT HEY ITS YOUR TRUCK !!

-- :headbang: :headbang: --KAHUNA

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Kahuna, thankyou everso--

--You're so much smarter than I thought you were !!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I have the Exide Orbital select. Its like the optima red top. Exide also has the XDC (xtreme duty cycle) which would be similar to the optima yellow top. Of course you still have to do some slight modification to the terminal connection... but so far so good for me. Look in the how-to section for my write up on the modification.

Here. http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2509 And this was done back in late 06, and the battery and electrical system are doing fine.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Remember this DB--"Who knows, what evil lurks in the minds of men ??

DBAX said:
"--Only, me and the SHADOW KNOW DAT !! "
Take it easy Lamont, you're talking waayy over thier heads..

--AX DA SHADOW, HE DO !!

-- :geek: :geek:--JIMBO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts