Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what batteries are you guys running? i have availability on Interstate (Optimas) and ACDelco batteries..... any good/bads on the Optimas (specifically the ones for our trucks) versus a normal battery? i've heard some bad things about the optima's being defective in the past (since the designer left for exide). and opinions? thanks guys

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Optima has been having some Q/A problems. They are getting a bunch of DoA.

I have a Napa O6 Blue top which is an Exide Orbital Marine Battery.

·
on line
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what's the advantage to the marine battery over a normal yellow/red top battery (besides being a deep-cycle)? does it have a higher CCA, or just a higher reserve capacity? and do you have the part number of that napa blue top by any chance? i'm curious if my local napa has any availability on those

·
on line
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any reviews on the exide orbitals yet? i can get a 75 or 78 series orbital from one of my local parts houses, but i haven't heard anything about them yet

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The Orbitals have been around for years. They have similar specs as the Optima.

The question is, what kind of battery do you need/want?

In the Optima world:

Red top = starting battery. High CCA but lower reserve capacity
Yellow top = deep cycle battery (or semi deep cycle). Lower CCA but higher reserve capacity.
Blue top = deep cycle battery (pretty much the same as the yellow to). Lower CCA but higher reserve capacity.

The Exide Orbitals are about the same.
They have a couple different starting batteries.
They have the XCD which is their deep cycle battery.
They have a blue top marine battery which has the same specs as the XCD, but the battery it's self has different dimensions.

Here is some info and links to reviews for the Exide.
http://www.beiterbattery.com/orbitalbatteries.htm

Odyssey batteries are another option, but I only know a few people who have run them. They are probably the best battery you can buy, but with that comes a high price tag.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, and I should add, that if you go with wither the Optima or the Exide (or some other batteries) you will need to modify the battery cables and terminals. The reason is, the X uses a reverse pole battery.

Look in the how-to at SexTerra's battery how to.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
XVTer said:
I also have a yellow top that I just installed; my X is the 3rd car it's been in. I bought it in '99. No problems thus far. I also did SexTerra's battery terminal modification.
I have a feeling that is before they went to crap.

My Yellow top in my Jeep was less than 2 years old when it died.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts