Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am creating this thread in the spirit of the "Tire Options" thread, so people here can give their reviews as to what type of battery they use, how they like it, and can update if it fails prematurely. It took a lot of searching for me to decide on my battery when my stocker Bosch took a dump the other day, and I figured consolidating everything would be better. Please try and keep this purely to your own battery, or one you've owned in the past, not opinions on other peoples choice of battery.

1. Brand:
2. Type:
3. Size:
4. Warranty:
5. Photo:
6. Where did you purchase this battery?:
7. Price?:
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery so far on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned:
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase?

To update at a later point if needed

A. Has your battery failed?
B. How old was the battery?
C. What climate do you live in?
D. Was it replaced under warranty?
E. Would you buy this battery again?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'll go first

1. Brand: Optima
2. Type: Yellow Top
3. Size: P/N D35, Group 75/25, 620CCA
4. Warranty: 3-year, full replacement
5. Picture:

6. Purchased At: Advance Auto Parts (online, pickup in store)
7. Price: $237.99 with 15% off, $202.29 total (no sales tax in NH)
8. Rate: So far, a 10. It was -10 with -50 wind chills here, and it started the truck without breaking a sweat.
9. Date of Purchase: 2/2/2015

A. Has your battery failed?
B. How old was the battery?
C. What climate do you live in?
D. Was it replaced under warranty?
E. Would you buy this battery again?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
bwinter714 - I basically just copied yours and updated since I have the same battery... note my experience wasn't that great.

1. Brand: Optima
2. Type: Yellow Top
3. Size: P/N D35, Group 75/25, 620CCA
4. Warranty: 3-year, full replacement
5. Picture:

6. Purchased At: Advance Auto Parts (online, pickup in store)
7. Price: $229.99 with $50 off, $191.42 total (includes CT tax)
8. Rate: So far, a 7. (I'm on my 2nd one, see below.)

A. Has your battery failed? - Yes
B. How old was the battery? - 18 Months
C. What climate do you live in? - New England. Hot humid summers and cold winters can occur in CT.
D. Was it replaced under warranty? - Yes, free replacement from Advance.
E. Would you buy this battery again? - Unlikely. 18 months is just too short for a battery to last. Granted I could have just had a bum battery, but I've read that Optima went through a rough patch, which perhaps has yet to be sorted out. Likely this battery has been failing for months, I chased down what I thought was an electrical draw for weeks thinking "no way it could be this new battery". Well it was. I like the idea of a deep cycle battery - but for the price I expected longer reliability. My wife's $80 battery has been chugging along just fine. Good news is the 2nd replacement has been working well in this below zero climate (well for the 2 weeks I've had it for anyway.)

·
Super Moderator
4,230 Posts
Brand: Costco/Kirkland Signature (manufactured by Johnson Controls)
Type: No Maintenance Lead Acid
Size: 24F (Part No. 924280)
Warranty: 100 month warranty (full replacement for 36 months, then 60% for months 37-45, 50% for months 46-55, 40% for months 56-65, and so on)
Photo: Coming soon.

Place of Purchase: Costco, Redding CA
Price: $84.99
Overall satisfaction on a scale of 1-10: 8 [pending revision depending upon service life- no failures to start with this battery to date.]
Date of Purchase: 7/2/14

Specifications: 700 Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 degrees / 875 Cranking Amps @ 32 degrees. (The OEM battery specs were 550 CCA.)
Note: As of January 2015, Costco was stocking an Interstate 24F rather than the private branded Costco/Kirkland battery. The specifications of the Interstate 24F battery are slightly different, as is the warranty. Both are made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
1. Brand: Odyssey
2. Type: AGM
3. Size: 34R-PC1500T-A / 850 CCA
4. Warranty: http://odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-WS-12_0212_000.pdf
5. Photo:

6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Amazon Prime
7. Price?: $253.92
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: 10
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase?: December 2013.

NOTE** You will need to space the battery up because it is shorter. I suggest the $4 Odyssey spacer:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
1. Brand: Interstate
2. Type: wet lead acid
3. Size: 690 cranking, 550 cold cranking amps
4. Warranty:2 year free / 5 year performance
5. Photo:
6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Jiffy Lube
7. Price?: $150 installed (way over priced but I needed one quick)
8. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: How being satisfied with a tire has anything to do with a battery beats me. :) I have always been satisfied with Interstate batteries
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase? December '14

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interstate, MTP-24F
Lead Acid,
CA 1000, CCA 800
One month warranty
Salvage yard
$35
No issues, probably last like the others purchased of same brand and place over 6 years
October 14 and now taken out of Jeep for Xterra

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. Brand: Bosch Platinum
3. Size: Group size 35 / 650CCA/780CA
4. Warranty: 4 year free replacement
5. Photo:

6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Pep Boys
7. Price?: Retails for 189.00 but I found a coupon code which brought the price down substantially.
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery so far on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: 8
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase? 6/20/15

·
Registered
319 Posts
I run these in my vehicles, my boat, and snowmobiles. Awesome battery built in the USA.

1. Brand: X2Power AGM
2. Type: SLI35AGMDP
3. Weight: 45.6000 lbs, Voltage: 12V, CCA: 740
4. Warranty: 60-month warranty
5. Photo: link below
6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Batteries Plus
7. Price?: 264.99 MSRP but I had a 20% off coupon
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery so far on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: 10
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase? 2013

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/44096-SLI35AGMDP-X2Power-AGM-Battery/560-SLI/4807-Car-and-Truck-Batteries/643230-Nissan/Xterra/2010-to-2014-V6-4-dot0L-550CCA.aspx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vibration and Heat destroy batteries. I installed the second Transmission cooler in front of the first Was bringing in really hot air on the battery. I mean I could hardly touch it thats pushing 150 degrees. Bad for any battery. I installed a corrugated sheet about 8" x 20" sheet that creates a channel for the hot Transmission cooler air to blow past the battery. Reducing Temperature by like 30 or 40 degrees. This helped i think.

Second thing I did was use Corrugated. Nice Double Wall under the Plastic Battery base that comes with the Optima (Red top). 5x8 or so and a couple strips on the top where the clamp bites down on the top edges. The battery is snug in this configuration and I think this dampens the vibration quite a bit. This is experimental. with Emphasis on Mental. But I wasn't getting more than 2 years on a battery. Changed it like 3 times since I bought the 2011 new. I bought an optima because of their quality construction. Im hoping this thing now beats the 2 year record. Im one year in and so far so good.

late-

·
Registered
13 Posts
I exclusively run the X2Power AGM batteries in all my vehicles. Never had a single problem.
Is the battery you run Rogue?
https://www.batteriesplus.com/Battery/Car-and-Truck/Nissan/Xterra/2014/V6-4.0L-550CCA/SLI35AGMDP

I have been thinking about this one since in contains a deep cycle as well. I am running light bars on front, back, and sides and they just died the other night. Wires and fuses are good. The lower light on the switch still works, but the lights don't come on anymore. I am going to get the battery tested tomorrow and will probably end up buying a new one. Sucks because the X is only 11 months old...

·
Registered
401 Posts
1. Brand: Odyssey
3. Size: 34R-PC1500T-A / 850 CCA
4. Warranty: http://odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-WS-12_0212_000.pdf
5. Photo:

6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Amazon Prime
7. Price?: $253.92
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: 10
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase?: December 2013.

NOTE** You will need to space the battery up because it is shorter. I suggest the $4 Odyssey spacer:
I had this one for 8 years and it still cranks like a new one at -40 :cheers:

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
1. Brand: Diehard Platinum
3. Size: 31M
4. Warranty: 3 year replacement
5. Photo:

6. Where did you purchase this battery?: Sears Auto Center
7. Price?: around $300
8. Your overall satisfaction with the battery so far on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best battery you've ever owned: 10
9. Approximately what was the date of purchase? 2013ish

·
Registered
667 Posts
FYI, group 34 has the positive/negative terminal positions swapped compared to the stock group 35. If you don't want to deal with that, get a 34R (R=reversed).

As mentioned by others, Odyssey sells a 34R AGM along with a spacer accessory ($5) to account for the shorter group 34 height. Or you can just get their group 35, the specs are very close between the two. Word is Odyssey makes Die Hard Platinum AGMs but Sears doesn't sell a 34R AFAIK.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Final Answer

FYI, group 34 has the positive/negative terminal positions swapped compared to the stock group 35. If you don't want to deal with that, get a 34R (R=reversed).

As mentioned by others, Odyssey sells a 34R AGM along with a spacer accessory ($5) to account for the shorter group 34 height. Or you can just get their group 35, the specs are very close between the two. Word is Odyssey makes Die Hard Platinum AGMs but Sears doesn't sell a 34R AFAIK.
Yeah thanks, Dealing with the reverse is probably too much trouble.
The thing is, I have a discount... new Autocraft for $50. Can't beat the price!!

UPDATE:
I bought the 24F size instead. A Little less CCA, but an exact fit. They listed the 24F only for the early models, but even the plastic tray was large enough.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-group-size-24f-710-cca-24f-agm/10310750-P?searchTerm=24f++battery

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's what I have now

1. Brand: AutoCraft Platinum
3. Size: 24F, 710CCA, 120 Reserve
4. Warranty: 3-year, free replacement
5. Picture:

6. Purchased At: Advance Auto Parts
7. Original Price: $191.99 , $43.63 after discounts (and no sales tax in NH)
8. Rate: A lot better than the Very Crappy OEM battery
9. Date of Purchase: 8/30/15

1 - 20 of 104 Posts