Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a 750 watt inverter, how long can you pull 240v @ 2.8 amp (50-60 hz) from the OEM Xterra battery before it goes dead? Could you get 1.5-2 hours ?

Or, what would be the caveats to running the aforementioned leaving the engine running for 1.5 - 2 hours ? (aside from the obvious fuel and environmental issues)

THANKS!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
197 Posts
Obviously you have a 240VAC Inverter??

240VAC x 2.8Amps will be about a 672 Watt load. Most inverters run at about 85% efficiency, so to source a 672W load the inverter will actually draw 672/.85 = about 790 Watts DC from the battery. Dividing 790Watts/12VDC (typical with engine off) yields the current draw of 65.9 Amps out of the battery with engine off.

A stock X battery is rated for 550 CCA and 113 Minutes Reserve Capacity, at least mine is. The Reserve Capacity is what you're looking at. It is a value of how long the battery can operate a 25 amp load, from full charge (approx 13VDC) to minimum charge needed for restarting (10.5VDC).

The 65.9 amp draw you'd be pulling is 2.6 times larger (65.9/25) than that used for the Reserve Capacity spec, therefore divide that factor into the Reserve Capacity (113/2.6) to come up with a SWAG of 43 minutes Reserve Capacity with engine off.

Final answer Regis...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
240V inverter? Do they even make them?

Also, remember, most inverters have an auto shutoff if the battery registered below a certain Volt. So you might have a problem with the inverter shutting off.

The stock battery has a 113RC? That is almost as much as an Optima Yellow top. I no longer have a stock battery, but that would shock me if it was that high.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
That is W not V

V = Volts
W = Watts

Your normal house hold appliances run on 110V (actually 120V). Electric stoves, driers, and A/C run on 220V (actually 240V).

What is it that you are trying to run off the inverter?

Also, bigger is not always better. The inverter will generate higher watts even if not needed and waste it in the form of heat. So if you bought a 1000W inverter and want to run a simple laptop off it, you are wasting a lot of energy.

Size the inverter for your needs.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muzikman said:
That is W not V
V = Volts
W = Watts
My bad - reading a little too fast

Muzikman said:
Your normal house hold appliances run on 110V (actually 120V). Electric stoves, driers, and A/C run on 220V (actually 240V).
OK on the back of this 'device' its says 120-240; does that mean it can run both ?

Muzikman said:
What is it that you are trying to run off the inverter?
I'll send ya a PM as its kind of a surprise for my next club run.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
Oz said:
Muzikman said:
Hmmm, I would be shocked if the inverter can run 240V, but maybe. What model is it?
Oh , by device I meant what the inverter would be powering - see PM
oh, yeah, the device will run on either 120 or 240V. It's got a auto sensing power supply. This is important so that it can be used overseas without problems (most of Europe runs 240V).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
197 Posts
Muzikman said:
240V inverter? Do they even make them?

Also, remember, most inverters have an auto shutoff if the battery registered below a certain Volt. So you might have a problem with the inverter shutting off.

The stock battery has a 113RC? That is almost as much as an Optima Yellow top. I no longer have a stock battery, but that would shock me if it was that high.
Jason,

Shot of my stock battery in my '05 SE, you'll probably need to click the pic to read the label:


Oz, So...without divulging any private info, was your initial 240V @ 2.8A based on the nameplate data on the secret device? Regardless, the wattage draw of the said secret device would remain relatively the same, whether 115 or 240V.

Although there ARE 240V Inverters on eBay, go with the 115VAC if the said secret device is 115VAC capable.

Later...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
853 Posts
Oz said:
I'll send ya a PM as its kind of a surprise for my next club run.
OK Oz (or whatever you're calling yourself these days) . . . I don't know what you're planning for the run, but it had better not be a paint sprayer to repaint Sturndog's truck pink (or magenta or whatever you call it) to match your axe handle. Remember, we are a "family friendly" group, and the ensuing mayhem that would come from that sort of action just won't be tolerated.

On second thought, might be fun to watch though. Be mindful of wind direction and overspray.


So, I'm guessing jump house for the kids? 40" flat panel TV showing a movie? Convection oven roasting a giant prime rib for the whole group?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FrankB said:
Oz said:
I'll send ya a PM as its kind of a surprise for my next club run.
OK Oz (or whatever you're calling yourself these days) . . . I don't know what you're planning for the run, but it had better not be a paint sprayer to repaint Sturndog's truck pink (or magenta or whatever you call it) to match your axe handle. Remember, we are a "family friendly" group, and the ensuing mayhem that would come from that sort of action just won't be tolerated.

On second thought, might be fun to watch though. Be mindful of wind direction and overspray.


So, I'm guessing jump house for the kids? 40" flat panel TV showing a movie? Convection oven roasting a giant prime rib for the whole group?
It'll be good Frank :)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
krucam said:
Oz, So...without divulging any private info, was your initial 240V @ 2.8A based on the nameplate data on the secret device? Regardless, the wattage draw of the said secret device would remain relatively the same, whether 115 or 240V.
Although there ARE 240V Inverters on eBay, go with the 115VAC if the said secret device is 115VAC capable.
YA it'll just be the 120 - thanks for your help
 

·
on line
Joined
·
671 Posts
I know the secret device!!!!
It's going to be awesome, but secret is safe with me!!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top