Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my battery hold down, on my '09 X, somehow come loose and contact the positive battery lead. This caused the two metal pieces to fuse together, shorted my entire electrical system, sent sparks flying out the engine bay and shut down my car while cruising down the highway.

I am wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their battery coming loose and causing mayhem in their engine bay? Any solutions on how to prevent this from happening again? (outside of ensuring that the hold-down is super secure after any battery replacement)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Ouch! Not something I've ever heard of before, but I see how it could happen (I recently wheeled so hard my positive terminal popped right off the battery!). To prevent future occurrences, the least you could do is wrap the hell out of every exposed metal surface (including the positive and ground wires out of the battery) with several layers of electrical tape to isolate them, and Lock-Tite the tie-down nuts and/or swap them for nylocks. You can also look into a non-conductive hold-down, though that's probably custom fabrication.

Are you using OEM components?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Crazy!

If you haven't already, I'd upgrade the clamps / terminals to the sturdy marine grade ones. There was a guy on here selling custom battery tie downs made from steel, and another guy selling one made of aluminum. They'll be conductive...But maybe you could plastidip them?

In fact, I think I'm going to take mine and plastidip it just in case.

You can see a picture of the tie down I'm talking about in my build thread. I don't think the steel one is being made anymore (was a one time thing) but should give you an idea. I suppose you could also just go to home depot or something, buy a piece of steel / aluminum and drill a couple of holes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts