Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was working on the truck today and noticed quite abit of corosion building up around the positive terminal on the battery. Especially around the piece that is attached to the cable, not sure what it is called.

I have cleaned it up as best possible. What is causing this and what, if anything should I do to prevent it, other than cleaning periodically?

Thanks,

·
on line
735 Posts
baking soda+ water+a toothbrush and rinse.

then buy battery corrosion inhibitor spray from the parts store and coat over both posts and terminals. I also do an old school trick by putting a sacrificial anode (a penny) next to the positive post.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I only have pics of the protection spray, but there is a battery terminal cleaner spray that looks exactly like it. Just about any autoparts store should have it.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
this thread reminds me, i have a little corrosion going on my ownself and need to clean up my battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this issue right now. Had corrosion on both terminals. Then the factory battery died. Repalced the battery and in doing this I noticed the positve post clamp is in bad shape. 3 weeks later I am at the store and guess what. No power. Got under the hood and noticed the positive post clamp was loose. I am thinking that I may need to at the very least change the post clamp but, I may have to change the whole cable. I hope it's not too hard.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
shellet, let us know what you find out...i just noticed that mine are pretty bad too.

·
on line
423 Posts
mine was really bad and I fixed it after i disconnected the lines for the FSU replacement. Mine was so bad that while trying to unscrew the bolts the terminal ripped in half. I replaced it with this one link but had to cut the nut off with a cut off wheel.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Corrosion on a battery terminal happens as the water (with acid) evaporates and escapes though the vents. When this "vapor" reaches the metal terminals it reacts in the form of corrosion. It is easily cleaned up with warm water, baking soda and a small brush (be sure not to splash any of the water on your skin or clothes as it will contain acid).

The protestant sprays help because it prevents the acid to reach the metal.

Now, the key is that if you have corrosion, then you have water evaporating from the battery. You should check the water level in the battery on a semi regular basis and top it off with clean distilled water (don't use mineral, spring or tap water).

·
on line
423 Posts
corrosion on a battery terminal happens as the water (with acid) evaporates and escapes though the vents. When this "vapor" reaches the metal terminals it reacts in the form of corrosion. It is easily cleaned up with warm water, baking soda and a small brush (be sure not to splash any of the water on your skin or clothes as it will contain acid).

The protestant sprays help because it prevents the acid to reach the metal.

Now, the key is that if you have corrosion, then you have water evaporating from the battery. You should check the water level in the battery on a semi regular basis and top it off with clean distilled water (don't use mineral, spring or tap water).
crap!

·
on line
14 Posts
had the same experience, only mine was so badly corroded i had to saw the post connector bolt off because i ended up ripping the connector to pieces and messed up the fusible link holder also! I had to rig up inline fuses to get home(battery went dead on weekend away from home). I replaced the holder and post connector with new parts and got a optima battery. No water in this battery!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts