Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm hoping this is the right place to post this. If not, apologizes.

I need to get my 2005 Xterra 4wd smogged, but I've discovered that the check engine light is because the catalytic converters are sending codes P0420 and P0430 (I think that's right).

I live in California and I thought I was doomed to having to pay $1,700.00 to get them replaced. Being slightly resourceful I hunted online to see if I could find a cheaper way to do it.

I found that Magnaflow sells California legal cats. So, I jacked up the Xterra and crawled underneath to see if I could replace them. The good news is it looks like I can, BUT... (and here's where I desperately need your help and wealth of knowledge) do I need to replace only the primary catalytic converters, or do I also need to replace the sensors also? Do the sensors have to be Cali legal?

The other thing I can't figure out is which of the Magnaflow cats is the correct replacement for mine. (pictured below)

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I love my Xterra and it kind of hurts when she's the source of so much expense.

I took her on a drive the day after I got her to Big Sur. I've never had a car I've enjoyed as much as this one.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
The secondary cats are the easiest to get at, they are the ones you have in your picture, but the primary are the ones that usually go bad. Plenty of folk just run on the primary cats, which are the ones I'd replace. You need the sensors, they are what is telling your computer if the CATS are working, and right now they are giving the computer the information that is generating the P0430/P0420 code. If you remove them, or they are faulty, you wont pass emissions. The sensors are pretty robust, but if you're going to keep the truck long term, and you have the $$, change them out at the same time. You're down there wrenching, get it all done at the same time. My .02$

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I have used Magnaflow several times on other vehicles. I never had any fitment or check engine issues with them.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
OK guys, he says he lives in california and the Parks Geek ones say they do not ship to California and the Magnaflow from Amazon says 49 state legal, so that won't do either.

Looking at the California catalog on the magnaflow site shows they have not made a california legal cat for the second gen at all.

Now if he has contacts in Nevada that he could ship it to he may pass smog with one or the other, just be sure that they do not look brand new when you go for the test so that they look too close.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
OK guys, he says he lives in california and the Parks Geek ones say they do not ship to California and the Magnaflow from Amazon says 49 state legal, so that won't do either.

Looking at the California catalog on the magnaflow site shows they have not made a california legal cat for the second gen at all.

Now if he has contacts in Nevada that he could ship it to he may pass smog with one or the other, just be sure that they do not look brand new when you go for the test so that they look too close.
Good catch, I'm from AZ so I spaced that the OP needs Ca products, although it is complete BS!! I wonder how closely they look at those things.

The idea that say, next month, I change out cats with the Magnaflow units cause mine failed, then I move to CA, I might have to get them replaced again, PURE BS!!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
unamused, thanks so much for not being butt hurt on that one. I hadn't meant it as a slam on you as you are trying to help him, I just didn't want the OP to try and order these without knowing what may happen if he did.

And yes, if you bring in a car from out of state and try and register it, they go over it with a fine tooth comb before they let you do so. I don't think they look at each part, but they do a major smog and emissions test and if you don't pass, you either fix it or get the car back out of the state.

It is why I sent my car back to Canada when I found out it was not carb legal down here, really not worth the hassle.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
No butt hurt at all, and what you said didn't feel like a slam. Accurate info is what this forum is about. There are a couple job opportunities I've been looking at over on the coast and this is good info for me too! Good catch man!! :thumbleft:

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I haven't had any luck in finding a 'direct fit' 50 state legal (meaning California) bank 1 & 2 catalytic converters.

If I can't find the parts myself and because I have to have sensors 1 and 2 replaced for the bank1 cat it's going to run me about $2,000.00. :crybaby:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know if oxygen sensors are universal for all states or like cats, are there California specific sensors?

You know, any other company tried this and they'd be sued for price fixing and monopoly, but because the government is doing it, they can get away with violating the laws. Makes me sick.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Have you tried looking at salvage yards? Maybe you can find a low mileage stock set from a wreck.
It is highly illegal for a salvage yard to sell a used cat. The only way they can legally do it is if they sell the whole engine with the cats still attached. If they unbolt the cat, it MUST be scrapped. This isn't even a cali only thing, they bust scrap yards across the country that sell used cats. It is as bad as muffler shops that pulls cats out and put in straight pipes.

A good friend has owned a scrap yard since the 90's. He has been checked but never did anything wrong. He has told me of other yards in town that have been busted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts