Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was driving home sunday night and lone behold bambee went kamakzi on me and darted right into the path of my X. i was doing 45 50 mph on a local road (speed limit is 45) and needless to say i sent bambee on his merry way to deer heaven. however he didnt go with out causing some damage to my truck. he was a bit taller then my hood and was about six feet long im not too sure how much it weighed thou. i hit him from his head to about the end of his rib cage.
now the damage, i have a brush guard on my x that took the bulk of the hit, and despite what everyone says about them it had no damage done to it nor to the areas that it was covering on my bumper and grill. however on my passenger side where the stock flood light is got completely shattered off. i asume it was due to the 27 degree temp that night in new jersey. the flood light it self is fine but the clips that hold it in place are torn up and i need a new bumper. not too happy about this one but o well my insureance goes up yayaya.(im in college and broke as it is)
i wish i had my camera on me when it happened so i could take a pic of the deer it had some good size antlers on it. but here are some pics of the aftermath of what bambee did

this is what got torn off my truck

a lil bit of bambee hair

and some damage pics

yea so i now hate deer

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
northern bergen county franklin lakes, but i go to william paterson university you

·
on line
10,133 Posts
in West Orange...not the nice part of W.O....the ghetto part of W.O.

My damage bill from the deer i hit came to around 1200 exterior damage (did not include bent brackets internally). I took off the grill and bumper, bent back the brackets, ordered a new headlight assembly for 1/2 the price of the body shop, and took the rest and put it towards my already purchased Shrock bumper. You might want to consider doing the same.

·
on line
3,333 Posts
Did you know that Geico recently reduced its rates on car insurance for New Jersey customers?

I am not from NJ but the gecko told me that. No idea how much they came down but hes a cute little guy with a british accent so its gotta be good. Prolly worth checking out if your insurance company dicks you over.

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea dont have the cash for the shockworks or the paients to wait for one i thought about getting a calmini setup just to be different then everyone else and no i dont have geiko

·
on line
3,333 Posts
Creek said:
i have the gecko. my ins didn't go down that i know of
You might want to call your agent and tell them you heard it on the radio(thats where I heard it). Never know it might save you a few bucks.

·
on line
85 Posts
You got lucky. Here is what a 140lb deer does to the front of an X, with no shrockworks or brushguard.

Parts needed:

New plastic's bumber/grill
tranny cooler, radiator, brackets.....you get the idea...cost Allstate $2,800 big ones :)

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i did get lucky how fast where you going

·
on line
85 Posts
I was going about 55mph, and the stupid thing jumped out around a blind turn, I never even hit my breaks...just plowed it over. But..to the X's toughness, I drove it for 3-weeks(light driving 35mph or under, no highways) like that with no issues, not leaks, only thing that I had to remove was the housing around the radiator fan so it would spin freely.

·
on line
612 Posts
That's the best thing to do when you see a deer, jump on the gas it'll shove the beast out of your way... It's when you jam on the brakes that the thing will cause real damage. Your nose plunges and lifts them into your windshield and what not. Stomp the gas and plow that ass!

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yupp that is was i did and swerved and he bounced right off fucking dear im still pissed about it

·
on line
2,877 Posts
you guys are funny!

i am so glad somebody hasn't come on here saying something like "you guys are so mean! what about the poor deer?" I say survival of the fittest. If the beast is too dumb to realize that an X is barreling down the stone path at high speed then too bad. A human life is worth far far more than a frickin deer. Anyhow, best thing to do is what you said, just plow into the beast. Alot of people slam on the brakes or swerve to miss and end up totaling their car or themselves and bambi just scampers back into the woods unscathed. heckl with that. The deer is going down...

:)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Yeller_X said:
Stomp the gas and plow that ass!
Bwahahaha! Hilarious! Thanks, man... made my morning!

It would certainly be difficult to train yourself to stomp the gas rather than the brakes... body's natural reaction says hit the brakes when something is in front of you. But, you're right, the key to being a good driver is thinking beyond your natural reactions and taking the necessary evasive maneuvers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts