Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some pretty decent balancing issues with my Hankooks. The discount tire guys keep saying they are zeroed out and we even tried 180 turning one of the "worst" tires and the truck still vibrates pretty bad at 60-70 mph. I know its probably tire related because i got the tires rotated and immediately felt a significant steering wheel wobble that starts at about 55. They told me to basically bring them an alignment receipt and then if its still bad they would start a tire replacement process. (no problem since i have lifetime alignments through Firestone)

Is it a common MT issue to have your steering wheel move about 3/4 inch side to side at ~60mph? I think my treadwrights were actually better balanced than these things. Could my u-joints or some other component be on its way out? 63500 miles on the X.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Hankook MTs. No balance issues whatsoever and I have rotated them 2 times now in about 13,000 miles so I am guessing they didn't do a good job re-balancing them for you.

How many miles do you have on your tires?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A solid 15K or so. Every time i get them balanced the speed at which they raise hell is either higher or lower by 5 mph so I kinda know this has to be tire related. The tires need on average about 6-7 ounces of weight to "zero" them. I don't think those balancing machines get the tires up to enough speed to see the issue, they are perfectly smooth below ~53 mph.

·
on line
951 Posts
I bagged mine, took a couple hundred miles for them to even out, but it's as smooth as can be.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I have had issues with Discount Tire not being able to balance tires properly. Ask for a roadforce balancing. Not all stores can do it though.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I have had issues with Discount Tire not being able to balance tires properly. Ask for a roadforce balancing. Not all stores can do it though.
I've had serious balancing issues with my tires from Discount Tire. I asked them to road force balance them (after like the 4th trip back) and they wanted to charge me $15 a tire. I laughed at them and left. Discount Tire sucks, but that was strike three or four for me so I was already at the end of my rope...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah Im on my fourth balancing trip...

Im bout to take one of them for a ride along just to prove that zeroed out doesn't mean crap.

I wouldn't say DT sucks...Ive had many many very wonderful experiences with them. I do however think they suck for anything other than normal passenger car tires/situations.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine Hankook MTs balanced fine from DT. I was told one of them required a fair amount of weight, but everything feels fine driving, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm maybe Ive got a different issue. The tech that balanced them last has the exact tire on his truck and says that they drive very smooth.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean yeah, I had a set of treadwright guard dogs that were balanced better than this. I did go on the Baldwin lakes trail in CO a month ago, I hope i didn't bend a rim out there. Not a hard trail, but damn is it extremely rough.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had to have my brand new dynapro atm's replaced for duratrac's (free of charge) because after the fourth trip to discount they could not get them to balance unless they used 13 + ounces. My vibration was from 55 mph and up. They were still not balancing after they tried to 180 them, brand new ones, etc. so they offered to replace them with duratrac's for free and I said sure. The manager made the suggestion I did not ask for them to do it and said there would not be any addiontal charge. They said normally they are fine, but maybe it is the rim width causing an issue with a 285/75. Either way I would try another discount. I had an issue with one that damaged a $1200 STI BBS wheel, but have had better luck with other locations around me being very friendly.

·
on line
2,883 Posts
Wonder if you've got a tire with an extremely out of round carcass or wobble in it?
Might show balanced, but actually surface ahs a lot of runout? (got hankook AT's & love them on my f350).

Back in my earlier days with mini truck 4x4 running 40's, after going thru 8 new tires trying to get it running smooth even with decent balancing, they finally sent me to a tire shop that had a surface grinder, simalar to a balancer that slowly spun the tire and trued up the surface to get it concentric. Fixed most of the issue finally. Granted those are big tires....
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do you have stock or aftermarket rims? Are they the same as you had before the new tires were put on and if so, did the last set of tires balance well?

If it's not the rims, then there's two possibilities - either a tire is out of round and balances fine, but will "hop" up and down and cause the vibes, or the tire is round and the techs and/or machine is messing up the balance.

It's possible to have an out of round tire balance just fine on a machine, but once you drive on it, it makes the vehicle bounce... I've never personally had this issue, but it sounds like maybe this is the problem. I'm not sure if road force balancing addresses this...

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
My truck vibrates horrible at highway speeds. I have the same tire and size as you. I'm going to replace a rear ujoint to see if it solves my problem. If not I guess I'll be in the same boat as you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
2,883 Posts
On the u-joints, keep in mind that I've had two u-joints go bad (one on each driveshaft) and neither showed anything visual (leaking grease, damaged seal , rust dust visible, etc).
Both were tight and no slop while vehicle was raised up on lift.
The front DS first, I did not find anything until I removed the driveshaft and cycled each joint by hand and found one axis extremely tight.
Upon disassembly, found one cap full of nothing but metal dust while the other three looked like new.
Changed that out and my 50mph and up vibration (which got worse further I drove, probably due to heat) was gone.

About a year later, got a similar vibration again. This time while raised up, could feel the bind or tightness on the rear DS about a quarter of the rotation. Found front joint exactly like the previous one. Suspect Nissan or the supplier had lube issue or assy issue with only about 40 k on them and rarely was the vehicle ever submerged.

In the old days with huge lift & tires on other vehicles always in a mud hole , I would have expected but not on this.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having been a tire monkey, I would lean towards it being a tire issue. Not all tires are created equal. 6-7 ounces is a ton of weight for a road tire. that being said, m/t's have larger tread blocks and are by design heavier. But I would agree with the runout statement. and also with a roadforce being able to find it. We used to get an out of round tire every so often. it happens, but they should have started being more proactive about it. I can zero out an egg shaped tire on a balancer....it still won't run smooth. But itll zero =) If the shake is in the wheel, its a front tire....if its seat thats a rear. If you wanna do some legwork, throw your spare on one side at a time, wobble goes away, bad tire found. Just my thought

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I know it's tire related because everytime they balance the speed at which the vibes start changes slightly.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well....Ive heard people defend endlessly that alignments don't affect steering wheel vibrations. I got an alignment on Saturday and BOOOM vibs are reduced up to 80%. The toe was out pretty decently. I also checked my front U joints and they were oozing black stuff and are rusted up, so Ill be changing those out as well. Maybe this wasn't the tires after all.

Don't get me wrong, there are still vibs, but wow the alignment definitely made it tolerable to drive.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Well....Ive heard people defend endlessly that alignments don't affect steering wheel vibrations. I got an alignment on Saturday and BOOOM vibs are reduced up to 80%. The toe was out pretty decently. I also checked my front U joints and they were oozing black stuff and are rusted up, so Ill be changing those out as well. Maybe this wasn't the tires after all.

Don't get me wrong, there are still vibs, but wow the alignment definitely made it tolerable to drive.
I agree. With an MT with an alternating shoulder lug, it can certainly cause vibes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts