Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bumper off this evening so I decided to add some wireless control to my Engo 12000s winch. Out of the box, the Badlands wireless winch controller does not plug directly into the Engo solenoid box - but that is fine as I wanted to keep my wired winch extension I already have running to my Shrock bumper. Adding wireless control in conjunction with the wired is fairly easy.

Obtain a Badlands wireless winch controller from Harbor Freight. The controller is $29.99 and you can use a 20% HF coupon on it:

Wireless Winch Remote

You will want to cut the plug off and trim back the wires. The pin-out is as follows:

Green/Yellow Wire: +12VDC
Black Wire: Ground
Blue Wire: Winch In
Brown Wire: Winch Out

Drill a hole (where convenient) into your Engo solenoid box. I fed the wires through using a spare seal-tight connector I had, but RTV will work as well. You can actually use crimped bolt connectors to attach everything, but I used a splice to do the +12VDC since this was easier than getting to the middle bolt on the solenoid; the rest of the connections were the crimped eye-hole style.

Connect your +12VDC and your ground wires up. The blue wire will go to the winch in solenoid which is the one closest to the Engo 3-prong plug. The winch in solenoid wire in my box is black (careful not to confuse this with the Engo ground wire, which is also black). Next, connect the winch out wire to the other solenoid. The winch out wire in my box is white.

Use something to thermally insulate the exposed wires in the solenoid box as these can get fairly hot and a wire resting against it could cause it to melt. I used some braided thermal wire cover and some thermal tape (overkill), but really anything rated 85C or above should work.

I took some pics at the end of wiring as things are pretty self explanatory once the solenoid box is open. Now I have the option of going wireless or wired with my winch. Hope this can help someone else out.

Badlands Wireless Winch Board:

Engo Solenoid Box w/ Connections Made:

The Whole Setup:

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good information to know, thanks. I was thinking about the ebay model but since I was at a HF with one of their 20% off your entire purchase coupons I decided to go for it. I felt like I left with half of the store after spending $300 there, lol. Their hoist works great for a quick solo removal of front and rear Shrock bumpers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts