Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
No, you won't lose a significant amount since the tranny is not completely filled to the brim and that's evident of hardly any tranny fluids around the boot. But if you do see a lot which I doubt, that's where the duct tape comes in handy for the time being until you get back from your trip.

Think you. That is exactly what I did (minus the duct tape which I may need to actually do). I also called Nissan and ordered the boot replacement.

I wrapped the boot in a few layers of nylon bags and used rubber bands to seal it up. So far so good.
Silly question but can I loose a significant amount of oil through that tear or not realistic.

how much have you driven it since the smell started? if youve driven a good bit and only small amnts have escaped, its probably ok to go on the trip. keep a few extra quarts of trans fluid in the truck maybe and check the level frequently?

Very common for manual transmissions to have a simple boot over top with the stick shift coming thru. The stick of my old 91 ford 250 came out in traffic on the freeway. Managed to get to dealer for new retainer. The new fluid change has more volatiles that will subside pretty soon. Why the escaped fluid? Over zealous fluid pump on the refill?
I've wrenched alot of farm equipment and know the odor well

For those wondering, there are three “boots” between the transmission and the interior. There is the interior leather like shifter cover. In the middle is the body seal, which bolts to the body and slips over the shift lever. It’s purpose is to keep grime out of the interior, but it will allow the smell of gear oil through as its just a slip fit over the shift lever. Then there is the transmission seal, that seals the top of the transmission to the shift lever. That’s the one that tears and lets gear oil smell out. As gear oil is flung around in the transmission, you will see a bit of gear oil around it if it’s torn but not enough to matter or even drip. Zip tying it to the shift lever is best practice, but I can’t remember if the factory did it that way. I also zip tied the body seal to the shifter lever when I replaced my clutch. It’s not a bad design, just susceptible to tearing. It’s an easy fix. Any any time the transmission comes out, the shifter has to come out. So that may be why zip ties are already present.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
As per Old Army’s earlier post/link, this is the part I am waiting for. I wanted to ask how to get the new boot on the lever but it seems like i just have to grease the inside of the boot a tad and go over top the shift lever.

Probably unrelated.

I filled my Xterra with gasoline this afternoon and upon sitting back in the drivers seat I was overcome with a terrible smell.

The best I can describe it is a mix between old cheese and dirty diaper.
Clearly, this smell crawled up my nose and raged against my senses
Thankfully the smell went away after driving a few miles down the road.
My daughter kept a suspiciously odd grin on her face throughout this episode.

Reactions: altramarine
Probably unrelated.

I filled my Xterra with gasoline this afternoon and upon sitting back in the drivers seat I was overcome with a terrible smell.

The best I can describe it is a mix between old cheese and dirty diaper.
Clearly, this smell crawled up my nose and raged against my senses
Thankfully the smell went away after driving a few miles down the road.
My daughter kept a suspiciously odd grin on her face throughout this episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.