Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

ive been on the hunt for a vibration i feel in the foot-well of my 2006 nissan xterra se. it comes on at around 37km and goes away around 43km. There is no vibration in the steering wheel or brakes.

Ive recently changed both front wheel bearings, brake rotors all round, tie rod ends and had a wheel alignment. I think ive narrowed the trouble down to the rear driveshaft, i also get a big 'clunk' when i shift into reverse. ive attached a video of my pulling on the rear driveshaft and im hoping you guys can help!! When i move the driveshaft up and down there is no big movement there but there is a noise, when i twist the DS the noise you can hear comes from the rear diff...

Hopfully this is my cv joint and i have seen there is a rebuilt kit for these.

Video of driveshaft

Thanks for any help offered!

·
Registered
522 Posts
What I see is gear play. What about the forward u joint? I replaced mine last year when I had a rumble in the drive train. I don't want to think of how many u joints I have replaced. Once driving home with rear drive shaft removed and using front wheel drive of 4x4 when one blew out. Most have went south at over 100k. One of the easiest repairs and not at all expensive. Lot of the better parts stores around here have a press that makes quick work of pressing out and in the joint.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The symptoms certainly point to a rear u-joint given my own personal experience.

At the time, I was not doing 'complicated' repairs on the X. The first mechanic had no idea but the dude at the brake and muffler shop diagnosed it correctly and replaced it with a greasable unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I replaced the rear u joint last week. The cv joint looks good though?

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I have been feeling a rumble/vibration at like 75-80 mph. which I wonder is something with the driveshaft, nothing at lower speeds than i can feel. Im going to go take a look for play.

im also feeling a slightly bigger than i would like clunk when going into reverse. feels like drivetrain play.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,036 Posts
Tire pressure, tire balance., worn ball joints.
My X has recently started to feel a bit like an old couch, I got a new vibe at ~90km/hr (in addition to the 30 - 50km/hr vibe from my lift, which is the CV angle). My struts are in need of changing, and hoping when I do that and swap out the LCAs when doing the cam bolts it will fix that... will see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I see is gear play. What about the forward u joint? I replaced mine last year when I had a rumble in the drive train. I don't want to think of how many u joints I have replaced. Once driving home with rear drive shaft removed and using front wheel drive of 4x4 when one blew out. Most have went south at over 100k. One of the easiest repairs and not at all expensive. Lot of the better parts stores around here have a press that makes quick work of pressing out and in the joint.
I haven't replaced the front DS u joints, they did look good as I pulled on them, maybe I will change them as it's pretty cheap to do so. But the gear play is normal?

The symptoms certainly point to a rear u-joint given my own personal experience.

At the time, I was not doing 'complicated' repairs on the X. The first mechanic had no idea but the dude at the brake and muffler shop diagnosed it correctly and replaced it with a greasable unit.
I replace the rear ds u joint already, there is no play in the rear u joint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been feeling a rumble/vibration at like 75-80 mph. which I wonder is something with the driveshaft, nothing at lower speeds than i can feel. Im going to go take a look for play.

im also feeling a slightly bigger than i would like clunk when going into reverse. feels like drivetrain play.
Let me know if you come up with anything!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tire pressure, tire balance., worn ball joints.
My X has recently started to feel a bit like an old couch, I got a new vibe at ~90km/hr (in addition to the 30 - 50km/hr vibe from my lift, which is the CV angle). My struts are in need of changing, and hoping when I do that and swap out the LCAs when doing the cam bolts it will fix that... will see.
I've had two vehicles last spring have vibration issues. Lots of dirt roads here. Both had piles of clay spun into the wheels. Took off and power washed. Vibrations gone
I replaced the wheels and tires with new to me ones, same vibration before and after. So I think that rules out the tire balance, pressure, I'll look more into the ball joints.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
well, I got under it and there is virtually no play in the rear of the driveshaft.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I replace the rear ds u joint already, there is no play in the rear u joint.
Hmm....

Somehow I doubt ball joints are causing the problem. But man, I don't know what to suggest at this point. On the bright side, you have some sharp posters contributing to the thread.

Keep us posted. I just subscribed to the thread.

Bonne chance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now the front diff has the power shaft that runs all the time but gets engaged from the transfer case!? If it has a bad joint/joints your going to have some issues correct?
Seems all those on this thread have an o6:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm....

Somehow I doubt ball joints are causing the problem. But man, I don't know what to suggest at this point. On the bright side, you have some sharp posters contributing to the thread.

Keep us posted. I just subscribed to the thread.

Bonne chance.
Yes i doubt the ball joints too but at this point im at a loss. ive been asking around for a while about this issue and ive fond quite a few people with the same un-diagnosed problem. im leaning towards the cv joint is bad, but then again i dont really know that much!

Now the front diff has the power shaft that runs all the time but gets engaged from the transfer case!? If it has a bad joint/joints your going to have some issues correct?
Seems all those on this thread have an o6:)
Ive just orded new u joints for the front so we shall see what that does 🤞.
All o6's! thats crazy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm compelled to post because my rig is an '06. My front u-joints had some bone dry and rusted bearings when i replaced them last year. They looked good and there was no play, but upon removal they looked like a disaster. I am intrigued by my rear CV joint causing noise from 65-75 mph, but not enough to rebuild it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with the CLUNK when shifting to reverse in the morning and every not so often after running it for a couple of miles. Then there is a THUMP when coming to a stop after driving a few miles (maybe 20 miles or so). I have a small leak on the rear drive shaft where it meets the gear housing. I know that's not the issue. The rear drive shaft doesn't have any play in it up, down, left, right, etc. But I have a 4x4 X, and the front drive shaft has LOTS of play. I can turn that damn thing like i'm dialing in a bad rifle scope. Just rotation is loose, it doesn't move up or down, JUST rotation. When I can tell there is a good size gap on some gear when I turn it back and forth (clockwise, counter clockwise). Is this just because I don't have it in 4x4 or is this something I need to do something about asap. If so, what do I need to do? Any advice is appreciated. I will figure out how to post a video on my next comment.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts