Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as you guys probably all know I'm the dude with the SLR lift on my 06 X. Sorry I haven't been on the forums as of late but I've been out of town and busy with work. Today however I got a phone call from the "repair shop" ...

The "repair shop" !?! What what happened you might be thinking. Basically about 6 weeks ago a chick in RAV4 hit me in the rear at about 50+ MPH. It totaled her car but when looking at mine it didn't even look like I got really hit. I mean there were no obvious signs. No dents, no paint work, just a smashed rear bumper with the hitch up in it. Being lifted and breaking just before impact raised the rear up enough for her to basically hit my hitch and smash it up in the rear bumper, etc. but with no hatch damage, etc. It didn't look all that bad but I'm not a repair guy. Anyway I got the phone call that they will have to replace the ENTIRE frame. Turns out that there is an area on the frame that cannot be fixed because they cannot apply heat. They are looking at possibly totaling it but I don't think they will. Personally I've never been in this situation so I'm not sure what I want. Again the other person is at fault so I'm not sure how the process works for totally a vehicle. Either way I'm screwed but unless there is a slight chance that things work out I'll be getting a whole new X. If they total it I have no choice but if they don't I highly doubt everything will be exactly how it was. I mean they have to remove the engine, axles, you know everything!

Anyway just wanted to let everyone know. Thoughts ... suggestions ... sympathy?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If your insurance company totals your vehicle, they give you what the vehicle was worth (hopfully it's enough to pay off the vehicle if you have a loan out...but that is where GAP insurance come in). Since it's totaled they obviously can't just turn around, fix it and resell it, so they usually sell it to a junk yard at a very reduced price. So, instead of them selling it to the junk yard, you have the ability to buy it back for that same reduced price.

Obviously if they total your X you will want to buy it back because of the $5k+ in suspension mods you did.

·
on line
294 Posts
One guy one clubfrontier.org had his frame replaced after the insurance decided not to total his truck.

pics here:

http://ila2.net/nissanrebuild.html

story here:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5075&highlight=frame

sorry, here's the story:

"Well you are not the only one. I don't post, generally I just read the threads but this one I have to post. Monday 9/11 I was rear ended by a IL State Police Cruiser. My back is hurt and I have almost ten grand in damage. It will be a total frame replacement & straighten the box. This whole process will take a month or more. I think when I get it back I will upgrade to soemthing bigger or look at the NISMO crew long bed for 07.

I have to say also that this NISMO was a great truck before the accident.

Maddog..in a state of depression!!"

Its a long process, but it has been done.

Sux about your truck. Good luck with everything.

·
on line
384 Posts
muzikman said:
If your insurance company totals your vehicle, they give you what the vehicle was worth (hopfully it's enough to pay off the vehicle if you have a loan out...but that is where GAP insurance come in). Since it's totaled they obviously can't just turn around, fix it and resell it, so they usually sell it to a junk yard at a very reduced price. So, instead of them selling it to the junk yard, you have the ability to buy it back for that same reduced price.

Obviously if they total your X you will want to buy it back because of the $5k+ in suspension mods you did.
You have to be careful with buy-backs. Some insurance companies will only give you Liability insurance in this situation. They do not like insuring vehicles that have been "totaled." Obviously you would want it back for your after-market parts, but you may not want to go through the effort of fixing it if you can't get it insured.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
BoonDox said:
If it is totaled, tell the insurance company that you have after market
equipment on your ride.. They will give you a certain % back
of the total cost of mods.. Includes tires, suspension, ect..
Unless stated in your policy, most companies will not.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I wasn't suggesting fixing it, I was just suggesting to buy back to get the lift off. Or turning it into a real trail rig. ;)

Lyrex said:
muzikman said:

You have to be careful with buy-backs. Some insurance companies will only give you Liability insurance in this situation. They do not like insuring vehicles that have been "totaled." Obviously you would want it back for your after-market parts, but you may not want to go through the effort of fixing it if you can't get it insured.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
That sucks.

My brother bought back his toy p/u for $1K when someone rear-end him. That was 7 years ago and that sucker still is running. Great HD truck.

I say he makes it a trail truck.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
They will give you a certain % back
Sorry BoonDox, doesn't happen like that.. I had over $12k of aftermarket parts on my Gen1, and got squat for it as the truck was totaled. Of course, I was allowed to remove all of it, and return the truck to stock. I asked about this (pretty in depth at the time) and was told anypart can be insured seperatly ie-wheels, bumper, roofrack, but you'll pay through the nose..

And the buyback on my '01, was $3200. Then it could only be a salvage title at that point too.

·
on line
638 Posts
I know something as simple as a satellite radio receiver is covered by my insurance. I was in a wreck in my Jeep in 2005. When we hit, I didn't have my receiver secured so it slammed against the dash and pretty much died. My insurance agent took it and reimbursed me for a new one. Guess it depends on who is insuring you..

·
on line
1,792 Posts
flipflop, that just totally sucks. My X is at SLR right now, and I've been wondering what I would do in a similar situation. I have USAA insurance, a great company, but I don't even know if I should tell them about the mods I'm doing. My fear is that in a total that was my fault, they'll blame the higher center of gravity, long travel set-up, or whatever. Maybe they'll raise the rates or be less inclined to renew the insurance. Maybe I should price out after-market insurance.

On the other hand, in an accident, of course the ins. company finds out about the mods as soon as they send the appraiser out. So is it better to bring it up in advance, or just let sleeping dogs lie?

Advice?

·
on line
49 Posts
I also have USAA. When I called them about my mods, they assured me that I would be covered. I guess I should read the policy and make sure the rep wasn't just speaking out his rear end. From the various stories I'm reading here, it seems like it's just a matter of who's insuring you.

It would help if the people that are posting their accident stories would go ahead and name their insurance carriers.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
guess I should read the policy and make sure the rep wasn't just speaking out his rear end.
x2

fwiw- I was with (have) GEICO. They have been very good throughout the whole thing, very expedient. I had Allstate for 8 years w/o incident. Something happened (not my fault) and they tried to bend me over. Good hands my yamsack..

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
muzikman said:
BoonDox said:
If it is totaled, tell the insurance company that you have after market
equipment on your ride.. They will give you a certain % back
Unless stated in your policy, most companies will not.
Just in case, though, I would gather up all of your invoices for all after-market parts that have been installed on the truck, and fax them over to the insurance company. When the insurance company totaled my '02 last year, I faxed them over the invoices on the parts I had installed. They adjusted the pay-out price; I didn't get that much more because they were smal parts, but it can't hurt to show them that information. The worst they can say is no.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts