Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well awoke this morning to find the passenger side floormat wet, smelled of coolant...not happy, kinda bummed my X is turning into a money pit

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, I wonder what would have caused that to happen? seem to me like it would have happened while the truck was on / driving. not while parked...

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that man, I wonder what would have caused that to happen? seem to me like it would have happened while the truck was on / driving. not while parked...
That would be my guess as well, not sure as to the how, no crazy driving, no off-roading just an up and down the HWY...

Trying to talk myself off a ledge...

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well damn...the more I read the closer to the edge I get, this look to be huge job...all I wanted to do was put my new air horn in....

I did not see any how to on this either

·
Registered
595 Posts
FYI- You can bypass it at the firewall until whenever.

Sucks. And I feel for you. It’s a time consuming job to fix.

I’m not advocating stop-leak in any way shape or form.....but.....it is an option to try. A bandaid at best, with possible consequences....but....it is an option. Choose wisely.

I’m surprised as hell it happened to a 2010! :-(

·
Registered
595 Posts
@MeHere! I did some google foo and came up with this tidbit about putting stop-leak through the core. It’s actually pretty damn smart, keeps it out of the radiator and hoses.
(If mine ever leaks I’m doing this first.)

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/163602-anyone-done-heater-core-taken-dash-out.html

I put “heater core site:thenewx.org” into google. Many more hits. Didn’t see any direct how-to’s in my quick gloss over, but I’m sure there are several on tearing the dash apart. That’s the gist of it really.... lots and lots of tear-down.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI- You can bypass it at the firewall until whenever.

Sucks. And I feel for you. It’s a time consuming job to fix.

I’m not advocating stop-leak in any way shape or form.....but.....it is an option to try. A bandaid at best, with possible consequences....but....it is an option. Choose wisely.

I’m surprised as hell it happened to a 2010! :-(
I think I'll go with the bypass for now, is this only an issue when I run the heat or is it going to leak regardless?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@MeHere! I did some google foo and came up with this tidbit about putting stop-leak through the core. It’s actually pretty damn smart, keeps it out of the radiator and hoses.
(If mine ever leaks I’m doing this first.)

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/163602-anyone-done-heater-core-taken-dash-out.html

I put “heater core site:thenewx.org” into google. Many more hits. Didn’t see any direct how-to’s in my quick gloss over, but I’m sure there are several on tearing the dash apart. That’s the gist of it really.... lots and lots of tear-down.
I am now trying to turn this into a positive...I have a new air horn, a back up cam and a volt meter I want to hook up...

I'll do the bypass, get everything else ready and just make a big weekend outta it

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think I'll go with the bypass for now, is this only an issue when I run the heat or is it going to leak regardless?
It’s an open loop. It’ll leak if pressurized. Meaning, yes, it’ll always leak.
Bypassing it eliminates the pass-through of coolant, thereby the leak.

Give some thought to the localized stop-leak fix. I bet it’ll work. And much much less headache than tearing into the whole dash. (Just my 2 pennies.)

No matter your choice of fix, I wish you the best.
Don’t let this kill your dreams. Parts fail. It’s their job to do that. Regardless of make or model! The Disco I had a few years ago was constantly giving me fits, but man, did I love it. And I love the X even more!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s an open loop. It’ll leak if pressurized. Meaning, yes, it’ll always leak.
Bypassing it eliminates the pass through of coolant, thereby the leak.

Give some thought to the localized stop-leak fix. I bet it’ll work. And much much less headache than tearing into the whole dash. (Just my 2 pennies.)

No matter your choice of fix, I wish you the best.
Don’t let this kill your dreams. Parts fail. It’s their job to do that. Regardless of make or model! The Disco I had a few years ago was constantly giving me fits, but man, did I love it. And I love the X even more!
I have read some good reviews on Fiber Lock, I may do some more research on that brand

I am now way back from the ledge...my wife's voice "how mcuh?" was pushing me, lol

I still love my X

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
It will likely leak continuously until you route the coolant around it. There's a guy on here @Adam12SD who had the same issue recently and replaced the leaking factory heater core, it turns out that Nissan used a design where the pipe you connect to in the engine bay isn't a solid pipe all the way to the core. It has a connection that uses an o-ring, eventually they all will probably leak thanks to that. Good news is the aftermarket replacements use a solid pipe. He posted pics in the what have you done for your x lately thread starting on page 706

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will likely leak continuously until you route the coolant around it. There's a guy on here @Adam12SD who had the same issue recently and replaced the leaking factory heater core, it turns out that Nissan used a design where the pipe you connect to in the engine bay isn't a solid pipe all the way to the core. It has a connection that uses an o-ring, eventually they all will probably leak thanks to that. Good news is the aftermarket replacements use a solid pipe. He posted pics in the what have you done for your x lately thread starting on page 706
Awesome, Ill check the post!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of the work...the major issue was the original HC had quick connects about on the inside section, the replacement HC did not, had to pull the whole A unit up and back to get the new one in, plus I broke a piece to the pipe on in the engine bay trying to remove the tube from the pipe

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
When getting in there did you see the source of your leak?

And major kudos for having the balls to do it yourself. It’s a daunting task, as you now know!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When getting in there did you see the source of your leak?

And major kudos for having the balls to do it yourself. It’s a daunting task, as you now know!
Yeah the leak was right at where the heater core piper enter to heater core, the kinda flattened out section...

I was kinda bummed there was not a hot to on this, but after having done the work I am glad there was not as it probably would have scared me off! lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
Other than a teardown of the engine, I’d say this is the worst. It’s unbuilding and rebuilding the entire dash.

I’m hoping my 2010 loves me enough..... lol.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once the job gets finished today, replacing the part I broke... that willleave me know with the task of cleaning the floors, what the hell can I do with the removal of the coolant smell? Awaiting the scary response "remove the carpet"

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Once the job gets finished today, replacing the part I broke... that willleave me know with the task of cleaning the floors, what the hell can I do with the removal of the coolant smell? Awaiting the scary response "remove the carpet"
Remove the carpet haha. BUT, just because Nissan installed it as a single piece doesn't mean that you have to do the same. I'd pull the passenger seat and strategically cut it where it can't be seen to remove that section.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I've been really happy with the results of the spot cleaner I bought. It did a heck of a job on stains, dunno how it might work on removing your smell though...

I don't know if they still carry the specific model I bought, but it gives you and idea anyhow.

https://www.bissell.com/spotclean-proheat-pet-portable-carpet-cleaner-6119w

1 - 20 of 20 Posts