Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...so I have the new cobra 75w...I also have a 4ft firestick attena which I like, but I am finding the recption not that good....not picking up much. I was told by someone on another Nissan club to get a longer firestick...like this one

http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm
Model: FS5-? 5 Ft (152cm) 5/8 wave Rated @ 1000 watts

This attenna comes with a tunable top for better reception and clarity

what do you guys think?

also what does "Rated @1000 watts mean?"

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know what its not a stupid question...when I purchasing all my stuff...the guys at my other club said hook it up and away you go. So explain to me how i do that?

whats an swr meter?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I've got a three foot fiberglass K40 top loaded antenna - much the same as the firestik. Ideally you want the antenna up above the roof of the car. 3 foot just barely clears the top and isn't good for much long range work. I've got amateur radios for the long distance work but keep the CB for short-range point-to-point and catching traffic updates. The best antennas IMHO are the big 102" whips which stick up really high and pull in signals.

You've got to get the antenna tuned to your mounting location. Most manufactures will intentionally cut their antennas a bit long. SWR will be higher on channel 1 than channel 40 when they're long. Trim 1/4" off at a time until you get both ends of the band equal. Some wire whip antennas have a hex screw on the bottom to allow tweaking, others do the same thing with a screw on teh top.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PaulXyZ said:
You've got to get the antenna tuned to your mounting location. Most manufactures will intentionally cut their antennas a bit long. SWR will be higher on channel 1 than channel 40 when they're long. Trim 1/4" off at a time until you get both ends of the band equal. Some wire whip antennas have a hex screw on the bottom to allow tweaking, others do the same thing with a screw on teh top.
this is what I dont get...tunning/trimming....? sorry confused

·
on line
2,072 Posts
hey Miles, you need to get an SWR meter. They are about $20 at The Source. You then connetct the meter to your CB radio (where the antena cable plugs in) and the you plug the antenna cable coming from your antenna to the swr meter. Then you follow the directions to tune your antenna. I have a 3' FSII and I just got a 2' today so I could leave it on when I go into the garage. The swr meter is simpel tu use, there are also instructions on the firestick website (link was above).

·
on line
628 Posts
Tuning will not have much to do with reception, it is more for the output/transmit. One of the reasons you may not have good reception is because a. no one in your area is transmitting b. they are transmitting on a poorly setup system (not tuned). You do want to tune it for the sake of your transmission though, and it is a very easy process as stated above.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well what I mean is one that doesent require trimming...there is some type of screw n top which you can adjust. The firestick FS- easy tune

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Yup, That's the one I got.
Make sure that when you are tuning that you are outside in an open area if possible. Then make sure that as you adjust that you replace the rubber cap back on the Firestik before you take another reading.
It should say this on the Firestik instructions and on their web site.

They say you shouldn't transmit with your CB until you tune in your Firestik. It could damage your CB

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so I just phoen the Source and they basically said NO! we dont sell them but back in the day when they were radioshack about 3 years ago they did....got to keep searching....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts