Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing some oil residue building up on what looks to be where the axle seal is. I'm beginning to wonder if its a bad axle seal? If so what could have caused it?

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/3120/rdmp.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah that's exactly where my leak started being visible. Crappy axle seal design. Ask them to replace your breather as well since it's like a $5 part (or do the extended breather mod yourself)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does that mean I have water in my diff? I havent really been in anything deep and if it was deep at all I wasn't at a stand still.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Doubtful - in order to get water inside it has to get stuck in the open position while your entire axle is under. This means water up to your door sills or higher probably.

What happens is the breather is a release valve to let air escape when things inside the diff heat up and need expanding. When it gets clogged shut, there is no where for air to expand and it blows pinion or axle seals.

It's not the only cause for leaky seals tho - sometimes they just leak because it's a crappy design or the diff may have been overfilled. It's just a $5 part that there's no reason to risk not replacing or switching to the breather extension.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will definitely be replacing it. When I get home from class if it isn't too dark outside, I'll snap some pics. If I were to replace the breather myself, should I put thread sealant onthe new one?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I will definitely be replacing it. When I get home from class if it isn't too dark outside, I'll snap some pics. If I were to replace the breather myself, should I put thread sealant onthe new one?
I didn't use any when I replaced mine but others may recommend it, I'm not sure.
Here is the info on the breather extension if it interests you
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I've been noticing some oil residue building up on what looks to be where the axle seal is. I'm beginning to wonder if its a bad axle seal? If so what could have caused it?

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/3120/rdmp.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad / clogged up breather valve causes the diff to not be able to release pressure, so it builds until it pushes oil out of the seals. You should consider doing the diff breather mod. It's quick, easy and cheap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely have it in mind. Just not sure about the taillight part of it. I've read where moisture can get to it. Florida is bad when it comes to moisture...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I dropped the truck off at a local dealership while I'm in Orlando for a few days. I get a call saying that nissan won't replace them since they are drip leaking. They said its just sweat and its normal. I need further opinions because I think they are full of ****. Also they are finally ordering my headlights after 3 weeks if waiting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
...They said its just sweat and its normal. I need further opinions because I think they are full of ****...
It's not, and they are.

... that will likely just continue to get worse. Most folks wouldn't have noticed what you're seeing in the pic you posted; so when it finally does become an issue and they do take it in, it's much worse - like to the point of gear oil getting on the brakes and wheels. Yes, it is just seeping/sweating at this point, but IMO, it should be tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts