Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a custom backup camera install? I think I am going to switch out my radio in the coming weeks, and I would like to add a camera while I'm in there. I have a stock '12 S. I had a 2012 Tacoma for a while with a camera, and loved it. Very helpful when hooking up a trailer, and parking in a parking garage (which I do daily). I'm not wild about the license plate frame cameras. I was thinking about a custom install in the rear bumper? Anyone rig up something cool, or have a cool idea? Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I had mine mounted in the license plate well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As in put a hole in the bumper? Hm. I was thinking above the license plate somehow.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
As in put a hole in the bumper? Hm. I was thinking above the license plate somehow.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, I installed mine above the license plate under the lip of the bumper. I ran the cable above the spare tire, theres a hole already there you just have to remove the rear storage floor unit to access it and then ran it from there to the drivers side door sill under the carpet to the HU.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
No, I installed mine above the license plate under the lip of the bumper. I ran the cable above the spare tire, theres a hole already there you just have to remove the rear storage floor unit to access it and then ran it from there to the drivers side door sill under the carpet to the HU.
This.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
Cool, did you get the idea from me? LOL But why did you leave the entire bracket there?

OP: Here's a link to my how-to videos of how I mounted them and where I ran the wiring etc

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29949

Mine is also mounted inside on the 3rd brakelight and points down so you can see objects near the bumper. Keeps the camera safe, warm, dry and clean.

Check out the videos I posted on my how-to, I explain where I got power for the screen. Power for the camera itself is easy, just use the reverse light wiring. I've had the camera installed since 2010 and still no problems. Probably the most handy and most used mod I've done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did not but I like your setup

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
8 Posts
Has anyone done a custom backup camera install? I think I am going to switch out my radio in the coming weeks, and I would like to add a camera while I'm in there. I have a stock '12 S. I had a 2012 Tacoma for a while with a camera, and loved it. Very helpful when hooking up a trailer, and parking in a parking garage (which I do daily). I'm not wild about the license plate frame cameras. I was thinking about a custom install in the rear bumper? Anyone rig up something cool, or have a cool idea? Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Late to the party as usual. I installed a camera on my X (cam came from Amazon). I drilled a hole through the bumper and mounted above the license plate. I then installed a Master Tailgators rearview mirror with monitor (same dimming feature/compass as stock but added temp. This works really well as not to install a separate monitor. You really can't tell its there. I have included pictures. Enjoy.
****Really nice to have to backup to my camper spot on without starting an argument with the Mrs. to be.... ;)

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,139 Posts
Late to the party as usual. I installed a camera on my X (cam came from Amazon). I drilled a hole through the bumper and mounted above the license plate. I then installed a Master Tailgators rearview mirror with monitor (same dimming feature/compass as stock but added temp. This works really well as not to install a separate monitor. You really can't tell its there. I have included pictures. Enjoy.
****Really nice to have to backup to my camper spot on without starting an argument with the Mrs. to be.... ;)

View attachment 131939
View attachment 131940
View attachment 131941
Do you have any links or part numbers for the mirror and camera you used?

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
600 Posts
I installed my backup camera above the license as well
and here is a full video of all the steps how it was done backup/dash cam + GPS sensor .. maybe it be helpful to someone someday ))

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
441 Posts
I have a pioneer avh280bt head unit it is camera ready and have the camera mounted above the license plate. The camera is about a 3/4 of an inch cube design I also have a front camera and use a regular household AV switch to select which camera. The stereo I have automatically goes to rear camera when in reverse gets signal from backup lights to trigger but also allows you to turn it on manually to use like a rear view mirror.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts