Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about adding a backup beeper to my X. I live and work next to the Sam Adams Brewery, so there are always drunk tourists idling around my block, either ogling at all the steel sculptures at work or walking through the hole in my fence to shave 15 feet off the commute to the Brewery and otherwise not paying any attention to what's going on around them (and when I'm working during the school year, I have dumb student drivers with rich parents hooning all over the parking lot). I also think it would be hilarious to have, and it turns out they don't seem to be that expensive at all.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at this guy, planning on wiring it up to a switch (which will also eventually control my rear LED floods).

Also a train horn, but that will come with my eventual OBA...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ummm....sort of related...

In a local club, we have a guy who's 1st gen has a back-up beeper...

It's 'Yesterday' by the Beatles. Yes. No joke. Well, maybe joke, but not so sure on intention.

If you really feel the need, then yeah....but after watching/hearing that guy back up a few times....Ummmm yeah. Nope.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Im really sorry I cant help with a link but I remember a while ago I think it was walmart that sold a little black box that sticks on the outside of your taillight, with a sensor looking in at the reverse bulb. Somehow when the reverse lightbulb goes on the sensor kicks in the beeper. It was SUPER cheap, but like I said. I THINK it was walmart.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can get a replacement bulb for one of the rear lights that has a beep built into it. I had one years ago on a truck, its loud and effective. no wiring needed as its plug and play
I was looking at those too. Good to know they're loud enough, I was thinking that would be an issue.

It's 'Yesterday' by the Beatles. Yes. No joke. Well, maybe joke, but not so sure on intention.

If you really feel the need, then yeah....but after watching/hearing that guy back up a few times....Ummmm yeah. Nope.
That's why I'm putting it on a switch :)

If you want something that will let you know there's an object behind you, could always go with sensors like these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42514_Crimestopper-CA-5009.II.html
Oh, that's coming too, but not until I get my tire carrier off the ground.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my neighbor has one on their ford escape. listening to it is annoying as heck. Personally I wouldn't want one on my own vehicle, but you have a purpose for it...so to each his own.
Again, exactly why I want to put it on a switch, so I can use it only when needed :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've considered adding one that emits a single beep when entering reverse but doesn't continue to be obnoxious. Obviously on a bypass switch. The relentless beeping is not necessary (for me at least) unless you're reversing down a long drive or something. It would be useful for backing out of parking spaces when your everyday idiot stops to find his keys right in your blind spot or is walking and texting.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmm. I have a fairly long driveway, the neighbor across the street is always working on his lawn, and he's a bit of a jerk.

I wonder if such a thing would annoy him enough for me to put up with it? :iconbiggrin: HPH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts