Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, most of you remember my X being towed to the dealer because some idiot poured sugar in my gas tank... well last week I had it towed there again because it died on the freeway! Its been at the dealer for a week now, and I still dont have my truck back. Here is the story I am dealing with, and need some advice...

When my truck was in the shop the first time (a few weeks ago), the dealer diagnosed the problem (of the sugar in the tank, very tough) and advised my insurance that the tank be replaced along with the pump, and the lines be flushed along with the injectors. My insurance (GEICO) declined the replacement of parts, and told my service advisor to remove the tank, flush it out along with the other parts and reinstall. My advisor argued with the claims adjuster for 2 weeks, and lost of course, so they ended up flushing the tank and lines and injectors. Everything went back together smoothly, I picked up my X, went to put gas and it wouldn't accept fuel! It spit fuel out the filler neck, got all over my quarter panel and plastic trim. So I was standing there for 15 min pumping gas, pulling the trigger and releasing every 3 seconds so the fuel would go into the tank. I only had to put gas that one time, then a week after I picked my truck up it dies on the freeway.

So it goes back to the dealer. Now I am really pissed, but I dont know who to blame yet (my insurance or the dealer). So I talk to my service advisor and he says call my insurance and see what they can do first because it was under a claim number originally. It took the whole day to reach my claims adjuster, so I told the dealer to start work on it now. When I finally get a hold of my adjuster he says they wont pay for anything now until the dealer can diagnose the problem again. I told him what the problem was, and my advisor told him what the problem was... flushing the tank, pump and lines will not fix the problem, the tank and pump had to be replaced in the beginning! For the past week neither I nor my advisor have been able to reach my claims adjuster.

The first time it was at the dealer I had to pay my $500 deductible, the insurance covered the $300 after. Now the bill is almost to $900, and I still have to pay my $500 deductible. I will pay the $900 out of my pocket for now, and I will sue my insurance for failure to properly repair my vehicle for the all expenses including my damn rental car.

I am blaming my insurance for his neglect to return phone calls, causing the repair to take longer then expected. I have been with GEICO for several years now, and one dumb*** adjuster cost me over $1500 and my truck to be in the shop for nearly 4 weeks total!

I called the dealer this morning, the fuel tank was suppose to be here yesterday, which it didnt show up til this morning. The following is what the service advisor told me... As the tech was installing the tank, he noticed that the lines didnt match up. He dropped the tank again, and noticed it was different than the original one that was pulled. He crossed the numbers on the tank and found out it was one for a 2 wheel drive Xterra. So your new tank for a 4 wheel drive Xterra will be here tomorrow morning.

I didn't believe anything he said, because the 2 and 4 wheel drive share the same tank! I checked it on several Nissan parts sites, and even called my friend at the parts department... so I am thinking something happened there.... and I cant check it out until tomorrow afternoon...

The past several weeks have been hell for me. My truck being vandalized, insurance being a PITA, the dealership lying to me about parts... not being able to drive my truck for almost a month!

So my question is, does anyone else know if there is a different tank number between the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive? Also, if anyone has legal experience... do I have ground to sue my insurance and/or the dealership? I believe I do, but I dont want to pay my attorney to ask him a question haha. Sorry for the long story, but I needed somewhere to say stuff and ask questions..... any help is greatly appreciated... oh, and my rental is a nice 07 Maxima 3.5!! But I miss my X

·
on line
3,218 Posts
grab a cold beer and chill, your fingers must be sore from all that typing.
I've got nuthin', good luck.
:)

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DBAX said:
grab a cold beer and chill, your fingers must be sore from all that typing.
I've got nuthin', good luck.
:)
my fingers are good... been typing the whole day! haha
mmm, beer sounds good... i think im gonna grab me some

·
on line
896 Posts
man that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear about it, I would think if you kept records of the calls you made to the insurance adjuster that would help IF you have to go to court. Other than that, the only thing I can offer is support. Hope you get your X back (working) soon!!!!!!!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Dude I am sooo sorry to hear that. I dont believe in sueing people but honestly if that crap happened to me I would definitely bring them to court and get my money back plus extra expenses.

Honestly, the only thing I can tell you is that you NEED to talk to an experienced lawyer that specializes in this sort of thing.

Good luck.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Fwiw, I paid Allstate for what I thought was premium coverage and good service for years. Chips came down, and Allstates only "good hand" was the one jerking me off. I switched (coincidently) to Geico, and was claim free several more years until the Gen1 was wrecked. They were fast, efficient, and thorough.. Sucks you're having issues w/ people "on your payroll" after everything else. Must be luck of the draw?..

How's that beer?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
This whole situation sucks...I am not a big fan of auto insurance companies to start with. Their business plan is to pay the least amount that they can legally get away with. I have dealt with enough of them to know that they are going to screw you, whether you have been with them for 30 years or 6 months. Unfortunately, whether it is State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, Nationwide, Geico, or American Family, they all are going to F you in the end. I know that sounds really cynical, but I have had clients that been on the receiving end of their decisions. Premium coverage means that YOU pay a premium, not their service level.

Talk to a lawyer. Find one with experience with the auto market. He will be able to tell you what legal rights you have and what chances you have to get your $ back. It might cost you to get that advice, but if its a good lawyer, you can get that money back plus some.

·
on line
874 Posts
I swear when I had my 05 2wd x the tank was only 16.5-18 gallons. the 07 4x4 is 20-22 gallons. so it could be...oh and as for insurance, if you have Horace Mann in your area, go with them. The company was built on providing to educational professionals but even if your not you can get a policy. I have been with them for 6 years, 3 claims over the years and I was sued once and they settled out of court for about $10,000.(ya my premimum went up that year but it came back down) They offer pretty good service, they know that by not adertising they pass their savings on to the customers. FYI I pay $1150 per year for my insurance and I have my [email protected],000 BIL-EO 300,000 PDL 100,000 and $500 deductible for both comp and collision. and I drive 25 miles one way to work. all that factored in and I am only 24...geico gave me a quote when i got the new 07 x and it was $800 more!!!! and after hearing how SH!77Y their service is I am more than happpy to pay less and get better service.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
This wont help you right now but, If I were you I would look into how much your policy would change if you had a $100 or $0 deductable. I had been with GEICO for 6 years, and had a pristeen record with them, I called up USAA on a comment from a friend of mine, they quoted me $190 less per 6 months. Now I pay $322.74 per six months for my 06 4x4 X. I am 26 so I have that discount, and I have 2 vehicles so I get a multi-car discount as well. I had a $100 deductable across the board and then found out it only costs me $6 more every 6 months to have a $0 deductable.
My coverages are; B.I. 300,000/500,000
P.D. 100,000
M.P. 10,000
$0 Deductable across the board
and then I have towing and extended towing coverages.

So yes I think there is something that can be done to help you out;
1. contact the legal peeps and see if a letter from a lawer with his letterhead on the letter, throwing around some fancy words and threats might help urge them in the right direction.
2. When you talk to GEICO again, if they are stil giving you flack about this, ask to speak with a supervisor and drop the Better Buisiness Bureau.
3. Follow in the footsteps of that guy who had the Apple iBook, the comuter went crap on him 6 months after he bought it, Apple would not cover it, so he did an online video at youtube of him verbally bashing Apple, and then literaly bashing his iBook. Apple gave him a new iBook after that. Good luck with all of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts