Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
yea it was weird, got a little too fast halfway through haha. i have 5 more trails from there in this "pack" which was a wild weekend. drove about 8hrs through a blizzard to Moab and filmed this when i got there. woke up and filmed 2 trails but my buddy's axle was making noise so we called the day. then woke up the 3rd day and filmed 3 trails and then drove home haha.
Buddy in the red jeep? did the noise go away the next day? basically i want to know more about the axle noise lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Buddy in the red jeep? did the noise go away the next day? basically i want to know more about the axle noise lol
haha buddy in the red Tacoma. it has way too much spring which equals 0 droop and almost no flex since they're so stiff, also horrible CV angles. if you've seen the Day Canyon Point video it's the guy who lifts the passenger rear 4' in the air (my Big Air Guy!). he's been neglecting this CV for months, wasn't even going to come on the trip but then did and it started sounding real bad halfway through the 2nd trail. he drove it into town to fix it, did nothing. drove it all the way home and i bet it's still not done haha.

·
Registered
232 Posts
With all these nice wheeling you've done, and seeing you're a careful driver, at what point did you have to replace your CV axles, or have you? Enjoying the videos as always, what a mostly stock Xterra can do, great driving!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
With all these nice wheeling you've done, and seeing you're a careful driver, at what point did you have to replace your CV axles, or have you? Enjoying the videos as always, what a mostly stock Xterra can do, great driving!
Thats one of the things I love most about his vids, other than the photography, is the fact that its basically a stock X that not only gets to these remote areas, but wheels pretty darn well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thats one of the things I love most about his vids, other than the photography, is the fact that its basically a stock X that not only gets to these remote areas, but wheels pretty darn well.
It's hard to re-learn my instincts, coming with some motorsports experience, to slow down and ease it when picking lines. His videos are great learning tools, not to mention the drone footages! Great stuff, inspiring!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Thank you so much! I have not replaced them and as far as I can tell they're stock. I actually have never replaced CV's on anything except my first Xterra and turned out they weren't even the problem. I use 4LO LOTS, all of our dads said it was like never to be used and created some stigma. i've gone 10+ hours in 4LO and never replaced anything related. CV's break at full lock, when over lifted, when bound up on an overhang, when using too big of tires or just overall violent driving. 4LO keeps everything smooth and controlled and minimizes hop.

pretty extreme example but everything still applies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Thanks! They're beasts, just put your tires on the tallest things instead of your oil pan and keep it smooth!

·
NewX’er 4life
2,441 Posts
I remember seeing that Yota climb that obstacle, just inching up, literally...so awesome! I agree with the stigma, you can go 4low all day and not hurt anything as long as you keep the speed reasonable. I also don't get the stigma of going into more gears if in a manual. In the UAE they routinely go 4low in third gear in the dunes and I am usually between 2nd and 3rd on the trails.

101 - 120 of 167 Posts