Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

221 - 240 of 251 Posts

·
NewX’er 4life
2,532 Posts
yea this was and then i did 3 nights this weekend. i'll probably do a review next weekend, way too much beer this weekend haha but here are my first impressions:

pro's:

mattress is very high density foam making it firm which i actually liked a lot and it got me thinking my mattress at home is way too soft.

the Light Suppression Technology is insane, it is so much cooler in there in the direct sun and was absolutely pitch black at high noon.

very spacious, could do 3 people in a pinch and lots of room head to toe even though i'm 6'1".

i like that it flips over the side making a small awning.

bigger bag is easy to get over the tent when packing up.

fun to be up high.

good headroom

looks cool open.

cons:

looks horrible closed, our roof rails are so close together that the front and back view just make me shake my head.

that big bag covers the whole side of the car when tent is open. we rolled it up and shoved it under the rail but before my buddy came over i couldn't get it tight enough alone.

the weight is very noticeable on mountain highways, trails were easy last 2 weekends so unsure how it feels off camber.

i hate setting up and tearing down, maybe it takes about the same time as my OzTent but you have to walk around the whole car 10x to get it open.. there are 8 velcro straps, you have to compress the ladder after it's folded, do a zipper all the way around and 2 corner velcros. almost every one of these is from a new position getting on the tire, standing on the inside of the fender in the rear door, moving to front door, go to other side..

the "can't leave without packing up" dilemma. often times i set up camp, get bored in an hour and then go drive around. last night i wanted to do this but couldn't..

basically all the reasons that have kept me from getting one were correct and proven, but once it's all set i DO really like it so it's a tough call. i don't know, i'd recommend it to someone else but don't i think it's for me haha.
This is why I went the hardshell route, but it still has the pack-up to leave and weight cons (and the outrageous price). Whichever setup always has cons, can never have you cake and eat it too.
nice! you are correct, the only real upgrade is the OME complete. i also have 33" tires, no steps or mudflaps, and i took my sway bars off. that last one is a little hard for me to recommend since it IS technically a safety issue but i've done it on the last 3 vehicles and drive accordingly. you could always find swaybar disconnect parts and achieve the same goal.
There was a thread about this and it isn't really feasible to have a working disconnect system for the front sway bar. Would be nice, but the design is just not great to work with.

I would also like to point out having stiffer springs helps with no front sway bar, I would never do it on the stock ones. OME's are pretty stiff so it's probably manageable. I took mine off when I was at stock width and had OME springs, no real issues. Still haven't put it back on 5 years later lol!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
dude that vid had me cracking up!

and i think it helped me convince my wife to get a rtt... we'll see.

we loved the you, your gf, her bf and his dog comment!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
dude that vid had me cracking up!

and i think it helped me convince my wife to get a rtt... we'll see.

we loved the you, your gf, her bf and his dog comment!
haha nice, i was a little hesitant to put it in there but glad i did. i have another review coming soon since we just put an Area BFE clamshell style on there and i like it a lot as well.

quick rundown would be:

less space.

no LST.

takes seriously 30sec to setup or pack down.

has an extruded channel to mount Maxtrax / Rotopax / shovel / awning etc.

they sell crossbars to make a rack on top.

only 6" tall when folded.

costs double.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Looks like the locker got some use around 4:45?

Hoping to see some camping trip videos this summer as well!
yep, if you look close he's pretty happy about it after haha. this is the 2nd camp trip request today, i'm going to have to dive in i guess. thanks again!

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
yep, if you look close he's pretty happy about it after haha. this is the 2nd camp trip request today, i'm going to have to dive in i guess. thanks again!
Super good example of how lockers work and can aid in getting over stuff, it would have been nice to see it from the rear to be able to watch the rear tires work to get traction.

·
TNX Veteran
3,993 Posts
I got excited when I saw "Idaho Springs" and thought that trail may be close to WA. Still all the way in Colorado. I'll get out there eventually!

Side note: B_Roll idk how you do it... I set up my phone camera to get some footage similar to how you do your videos and holy hell it gets old quick. I feel like I ran 3 times as far as I drove trying to get the camera set up and back into my vehicle again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
I got excited when I saw "Idaho Springs" and thought that trail may be close to WA. Still all the way in Colorado. I'll get out there eventually!

Side note: B_Roll idk how you do it... I set up my phone camera to get some footage similar to how you do your videos and holy hell it gets old quick. I feel like I ran 3 times as far as I drove trying to get the camera set up and back into my vehicle again.
oh no sorry for the fake out, i'm trying to get there this year. also yes i have a couple running videos on Instagram haha, i have a conversation on the way up pretty much every time that's like "are you really going to do all this again?" haha. after a couple shots i hate it, then i'll get something cool and be re-energized.. then it sucks again.. then i'm on my way home thinking "this is dumb, what are you doing?" but once i start editing it's all worth it and i'll make the same "mistake" next weekend haha. it IS a ton of work, the video really has nothing to do with the day i actually had. i go back and forth a lot but at this point i've gone too far to stop.

when people ask me if i've done _ trail i say "yea i ran it twice and drove it once" haha.

221 - 240 of 251 Posts