Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
been meaning to ask what you prefer, should i just make a "my videos" type post and keep adding to it, or submit new threads? am i doing it right??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guarantee i watch my channel 100x more than anybody haha. love the Xterra. i like the rig and road less traveled, doing something different. this guy i work with (just bought $50,000 fully kitted Jeep) is like "we should do one with my Jeep! and do a walkaround in my driveway!" and i'm like "sorry, you just don't get it." literally millions of those videos...

·
NewX’er 4life
2,451 Posts
been meaning to ask what you prefer, should i just make a "my videos" type post and keep adding to it, or submit new threads? am i doing it right??
I think it would be best to have a thread in which you post your videos instead of starting a new one each time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it does fit, i have plans to put a tank under there to speed things up and put my compressor there or somewhere else. need to look at it more honestly. was just testing to see if that was even an option and then just strapped her down haha. for anyone thinking about it/reading this i have paracord in a # running to the 4 roof rails (2 parallel, 2 to the crossbars). instead of moving the bars closer together and having the tire so high on top of them this lowers it into the bars ~5" but doesn't let it press against the roof, it's just kind of floating there with ~2" gap to the roof. i ran this for 7yrs on my 1st gen because the spare location IS a pretty low spot on those (also i don't think the 32" fit) and the "floating spare" kind of became my trademark.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
That's really great video work!
Love the drone footage ... gives a great sense of scale.

Would you mind sharing some of your technique, and the type of equipment you're using?
@jude has taken some drone footage of our trail runs and might be interested in such.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's really great video work!
Love the drone footage ... gives a great sense of scale.

Would you mind sharing some of your technique, and the type of equipment you're using?
@jude has taken some drone footage of our trail runs and might be interested in such.
thank you so much and certainly! i have the MavicPro which was pretty blown out footage until i got the PolarPro ND Filters. i always set the white balance to whatever is real (cloudy, sunny, etc).

then i put the aperture on auto to see what it thinks i should do. i switch back to manual and check a couple near the suggested and then set it and leave it so it's not constantly changing while i'm flying. there's a bunch of videos on the exact settings but i know i'm on D-Cinelike, a lower FPS, and have the other 3 settings at -1 (contrast, saturation.. something else)

i also dumbed down the controls somewhere so when i'm moving the gimbal if i let go it doesn't stop right there, it rolls out slowly and comes to a smooth stop. i did this to the flying too, from the factory if you're full speed ahead and let go completely the thing stops on a dime. i have it set so it's like it's on ice. this can get you into trouble with close and technical flying but it sure makes the footage smoother.

when filming i try to make one movement per shot basically. at 4:58 i die inside haha. i cut a LOT, usually have 35-40mins of footage and that turns into 3-5mins. even while trying to "use the whole battery" by planning a shot or two, taking off, getting 'em and landing instead of kinda putzing around in the air following myself around. when i'm editing i notice glitches (changes in speed or direction) more and will just cut it right before. if there's still good stuff in that shot after i just skip a few seconds and resume, put it on a snare in the music and it seems fine. a lot of videos i see the pilots seem to be trying to do too much, most of the time flying in a straight line and a little gimbal action is all you need.

focus. it has auto focus but it is always a good idea to click the screen, every shot. usually right on the horizon unless you're filming a cave or something, click on that haha.

lastly it all looks pretty grey/plain when not colorized. i'm just using iMovie and USUALLY turn the highlights down a bit, add a TINY bit of contrast, move the saturation rainbow as little as i can move it to the right, then i move the temperature dot so it's fully into the yellow/warm side. every clip has a slight variation of this and you have to play with each one. i basically learned everything i know from these videos:

this probably sounds ridiculous so if you have any other questions let me know!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Great camera work and amazing scenery. How are you manging to fly the drone and drive at the same time? Is there a follow mode on mavic or something?
thank you! i messed with the auto stuff on one video (The Bank Trail) and never again. i want to get back into it, would've helped me on The Slab in the Metberry video. right after The Slab though i wanted to spiral over to the mountain i filmed in the next shot. i would have had to turn it off and then switch to manual flying and it would be impossible to get smooth. also any auto track mode puts the subject dead center in the frame which i don't like. soooo probably controversial but i'm flying and driving at the same time, steering with my knee. most shots are fly-by style so i don't do it for long, pass myself, stop the car out of frame and continue flying.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts