Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about a lot and I have a pretty good idea of how this would work and that I have to match the front and rear gear ratios if I upgrade. The specific question that I have is whether there are any issues with putting a 2014 Pro4X Axle on a 2005 S model. When I view a compatibility matrix provided by several sellers on eBay, they show the 2014 Pro4X axle is only compatible with model year 2007 forward. What does the brain trust say? Is this true, or would I be able to put the 2014 Pro4X axle on a 2005 S (assuming I also upgrade the front axle to match the gearing)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just did this and am pretty happy with it..the only thing the I made sure is the bolts on the drive shaft. Some got 4 and other have 6 and also to include the length of drive shaft. I have an automatic and took the 3.69 gear ratio from manual pro4x, i used the drive shaft from auto pro4 x. Also make sure the the abs sensor are in place just as mentioned. So far so good..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tip about the ABS sensors. I had read the old ones could not be swapped over since they were not compatible. Regarding the DS. My pinon flange is 6 bolts. Aside from the bolt count is there anything else that would require me to swap out the DS, or will I be able to re-use it?

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Depends on how much lift you have. The c200k DS is about 1.25” longer than the m226 DS. I ran the c200k ds with my m226 for a long time without any issues and I had about 3” rear lift. Any less might not work.

The safest bet is to pick up a low mileage used m226 DS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last year I outfitted my X with OME front and rear springs. The back is OME CS061R which is supposed to give 1.5" - 2" of lift. If the c200k DS is too long, how would I know? Would it simply not fit? Or would it fit, but cause some other problem? What would the symptoms be to watch out for?

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
376 Posts
You can get a replacement pinion flange at any good drive shaft shop. I did the M226 swap, but the axle came out of a frontier, and had to cut off and weld new spring perches on (axle under versus axle over). The advantage was I was able to get the drive shaft aligned with the diff so no shims were necessary. The disadvantage was, it cost more to have that work done.

·
TNX Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
376 Posts
Last year I outfitted my X with OME front and rear springs. The back is OME CS061R which is supposed to give 1.5" - 2" of lift. If the c200k DS is too long, how would I know? Would it simply not fit? Or would it fit, but cause some other problem? What would the symptoms be to watch out for?
The problem is the M226 pinion sticks out a couple of inches more than the C200k. You probably have enough room in the part of the driveshaft that slides within itself. Mine was OK when I installed a M226.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts