Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody- both of my rear axle seals (m226) have been leaking for some time now. First discovered the issue the same way as everyone else...working on something on the rear end, remove one of the wheels, see fluid all over the place. I've been routinely cleaning the pads, rotors, etc. while i figured out a good time to put it in the shop. Well 3 weeks ago, I decided it was time and took it to a friend-of-a-friend's shop. Very highly respected place and very legitimate mechanic who's done great work on said friend's Tacoma. I'm driving my x 600 miles next week for a trip and was trying to get it in there and get this fixed so that I don't have to worry about anything while driving it this far in one day. WELL, the mechanic was pretty backed up fixing this truck with all kinds of rust damage and such and was very delayed starting mine. He finally did yesterday, and called me today with the unfortunate news that not only does he not have the type of press necessary to press the bearing back on, he doesn't know what kind he'd even need or anyone around that would. I'm in a bind here- I need to get this repair done over the next week. I'm unsure what type of press is needed but I'm going to look it up in the how-to on replacing the seals and bearings and just ask around for who has it. But if anyone here is in the Atlanta area and has had the repair done or knows anyone that could do it, please let me know!! I'm willing to venture to different parts of the city. For perspective, I'm located on the West side inside the perimeter, and the shop I took it to is in Woodstock almost to Canton. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Heres a how to by longboardr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You can bring the axle to a machine shop or any shop that has a press and they can press it in for you then just have your friend put everything back together.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I had a Jeep shop do mine, since the location of the shop was convenient to me, the price was reasonable, and I figured they were well familiar with D44 style axles. They had no problem installing the bearing with their shop press.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Removing the axles is trivial. I asked the folks at the O'Reilly's I visit for a reference and they gave an awesome mechanic with basic english skills that pressed the bearings off/on in no time for $25 a side. Its only been a year but his shop has been bulldozed for more condos since then. We can't have nice things in Portland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the driver's side last year and about to do the passenger side next weekend. Honestly, the only hard part was cutting the old bearing and spacer off. As skimandan said, removing the axle is pretty easy so if you can find a shop willing to cut off the old bearing/spacer and press on the new ones its not a bad job at all. I had trouble finding a shop around Northern VA willing to press on the bearings for me so I finally just bought a 20 ton shop press at HF for around $100 and did it myself. I think if you call around enough independent shops you will find someone willing to press on the new bearings for you, but if not, don't be afraid to buy your own press. It sounds scary but it really isn't complex at all. I can take pics/videos when I do mine - hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the advice. Been a busy week. The mechanic told me they might be ok, and to clean them thoroughly and check after driving a little while. I’ve done this before but hey trying to stay positive so I’ll try it again. There was SO MUCH OIL on my brake hardware. I got them all spotless, but it took forever, and I’m just gonna take her on the long drive and get this done right after. I assume the worstthing that can happen is oil once again slinging all over the place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts