Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The maunals have a dana 44 but what kind of axle does the automatic have? I can't find any markings on the houseing.

·
on line
78 Posts
Hey Muzikman why are the axles different, are the d44 stronger than the c200? I'm new to the 4x4 world not trying to ask stupid question its just is alittle confusing to me.Plus I have the auto couldn't find a 6 speed anywhere when I got my X, from what I keep reading the manuals have better gear ratios and stouter running gear.

·
on line
369 Posts
Do the M/T and A/T OR X's both have the same rear axles? Or does the M/T still have the Dana 44 (which I assume is stonger) while the A/T has the variant in the OR models?

·
on line
735 Posts
the nissan dana44 is in all OR models no matter transmission. as a bonus though, you get the dana without a locker for all six speed manual trucks.

I heard the side gears have a proprietary spline count, but otherwise, a regular d44 locker should drop right in. I do not know if the nissan side gears can be swapped to a conventional locker...

·
on line
369 Posts
Thanks mike100 that's what I wanted to know. About the proprietary side gear splines: couldn't one replace the axle shafts along with the differential to remedy that problem and also build a bullet-proof rearend?

·
on line
735 Posts
yes..maybe... remeber you have the odd-ball lug pattern and I'm not sure if the width is standard fullsize truck width or not.

arb may offer the locker with the 32or 33 spline side gears one day since that isn't a big redesign. it's really a titan part and there are a lot of those in the market, so titan forums definitely have the rear axle parts well documented if you need info.

·
on line
369 Posts
I'm not too worried about the rear axle, it seems to be strong enough to handle eveything we've put it through so far and with the OR I'm already locked. Now the front is a different story. Is it related to any existing axle on the market? I'd really like to see some aftermarket components for it, I know possibly Gruzen has already found aftermarket CV shafts. Too bad Nissan didn't put a Dana 44 on the front too...

·
on line
735 Posts
here's the ideas I had floating around in my head for the front end:

get the fullsize nissan straight axle from an aussie Patrol. then switch to titan rear axles to get standard nissan lug pattern to match. brakes should be large enough since the patrol is fullsized

drop in rubicon med-wide track from 2007 jeep wrangler..ditch or convert rear axle to have matching jeep lug pattern.

figure out how to use a bigger IFS diff with some kind of custom axleshafts made to fit.

buy a 4runner or 'gasp' you know what.

ON EDIT: scratch the patrol..it has a passenger side drop on the pumpkin.

it's fun to look at anyways: http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/

·
on line
369 Posts
Wow those australian Nissans are badass. I'm most interested in swapping in a stronger IFS set up or beefing up the internals of the existing one. Creating an IFS X that could rival SAS Xs would be really cool.

·
on line
332 Posts
i like the bull bar and snorkel. man nissan of america is leting xterra owners down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts