Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Just finished fabricating some quick release clamps to mount an awning on the factory roof rails. So far they work great and feel super solid. The clamp itself was machined out of nylon and the mounting plates are aluminum. Still need to get the rest/right hardware to mount properly. Anyway, just wanted to share some photos/info in case anybody is thinking about going this same route. The idea was to be able to take the awning on and off easily before and after trips. This will make switching sides if needed for different campsite setups very easy as well. My main use for the Awning is to scape the high elevation Colorado sun between laps during mountain biking trips, mostly weekend trips, so not super heavy use. I'll post a review on the awning (cheap ebay one) and the clamps after a few months of use for reference. Feel free to shoot some questions my way if you have them. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very slick! Do you have access to all this fabricating equipment at work? I'd love to be able to make stuff like that!
Yeah! I'm very fortunate to have access to basically a full machine shop at work: waterjet, lathe, mill, laser cutter, 3d printers...fabricating things can sometimes be even more fun than actually using them haha.

thanks!

cheers

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
261 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but I’d buy these clamps if I ever saw them for sale. It’d be really nice to be able to switch sides/leave the awning at home in between trips

·
Registered
226 Posts
I second this....maybe look into doing a run and give us a price for the clamps and aluminum attachment piece...I would be in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Unfortunately these will probably be a one-of for the foreseeable future. We downsized our office/shop space and no longer have the waterjet set up. I’ll let you know if I ever have access/capability of making more again. Cheers.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X
8 Posts
Your whole rack set up looks like it solves a lot of problems.

Do you have a larger write up on the rack and low profile rack bars that support the bike trays?

I am not tall, mounting trays below the factory rack would mean I might not need a step stool.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your whole rack set up looks like it solves a lot of problems.

Do you have a larger write up on the rack and low profile rack bars that support the bike trays?

I am not tall, mounting trays below the factory rack would mean I might not need a step stool.
Sorry man, I don’t. I fabricated the mounts that hold the crossbars under the round bar out of aluminum and used scrap 80/20 extrusion from work for the crossbars. And yes, mounting the bike trays under the round bars makes a huge difference when getting a bike up there. Specially now that my X is lifted 3.5 inches.

For camping trips I mount the bike on the roof, but for local/day trips I put the bike inside the X. Much more convenient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts