Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my stock Alternator is having problems as it seems that it is only charging sometimes and sometimes it is not.

Have you ever experienced that ?

I will take to the Autozone to test this weekend, do you know the average Alternator repair cost ?

My friend told me Hexautoparts, Advance Auto Parts , DB Electrical have new aftermarket Alternator replacement for sale whose price is affordable.

If the cost of Alternator repair is too expensive, I think aftermarket Alternator replacement is also working fine.

Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So first, Your X uses a "smart charging system" in that it only charges when needed. If your seeing your voltage go from around 14 to around 12.7 frequently when driving, this is normal operation. You can disable it. There is a thread around here somewhere but I can't remember where - I think it might have been intermingled with the rugged rocks alternator thread.

If you do need an alternator - I have been running this one since 2013. I killed my old one on a "puddle" crossing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031I3L4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
374 Posts
Word of advice. I would not recommend an aftermarket alternator from one of the places you mentioned. I installed one and a year later it died. No help from the store and ended up getting an OEM alternator. No problem since.

·
Registered
257 Posts

If you do need an alternator - I have been running this one since 2013. I killed my old one on a "puddle" crossing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031I3L4K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I clicked. Amazon.com tells me that the alternator does not fit my 2006 Xterra.

For other parts that do fit the X, Amazon.ca (Canada) tells me that they do not while amazon.com (USA) tells me that they do. Could be that Amazon's filter are not finely tuned.

Me thinks that the OP should explain why the intermittent charging is a problem and should rigorously test the alternator before removing and replacing. In the OP's post, I don't see any troubling symptoms. I mention this because the OP could start a process of switching perfectly good components without resolving anything.

Close to 30 years ago, a Canadian Tire shop in Kingston, Ontario replaced my alternator because it was not working. I did not request that. I took it to another shop and it tested just fine. Canadian Tire replaced the original alternator at no charge.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you have intermittent issues with your alternator, the voltmeter on the dash will dip low and run low for periods. It will be aparent. (not momentary dips that recover when taxing the electrical system such as blower motor or raising and lowering the windows, those are normal) Likely even the battery light with be lit.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If you want to test it - start the truck and put a volt meter across the battery terminals. If it hits somewhere near 14 volts at some point - its working most likely. It will cycle on and off. I have a guage that monitors it constantly while driving and Its constantly cycling between around 14V and 12.7 volts - ie alternator on / alternator off. This is normal.

If its always at 14VDC, then you likely have a bad cell in your battery. Had that issue also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a rear battery and a rear winch (mounted on a hitch bar and plate), so bought a 250A alternator from Powerbastards. It charged a totally dead battery after jump start by switching on the rear battery, in 10 minutes. Expensive, but effective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts