Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Pro-4x with just over 100k miles. I have the automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark or I pull into the garage. Just recently, the lights have stopped turning off after stopping/parking. I could stop, turn the vehicle off, get out and lock the doors. In the past, the lights would turn off after a short period of time. Now they just stay on.

Today, I went to get in the car and realized I parked in the garage and never manually turned off the lights.

Any suggestions on what is wrong or how I might fix this situation?

Thank you

·
on line
2,449 Posts
Make sure all the doors are closed. If a door is ajar the lights will stay on for an extended time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure all the doors are closed. If a door is ajar the lights will stay on for an extended time.
I don't think this is it unless one of the door open sensors is bad. I will check to see if the interior lights activate and turn off with each door.
Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be overly simple but you do know, I would guess, that there is a setting for that on the steering wheel knob, it can be set to on, off, or auto. Make sure it is set to auto. It's easy to bump that by mistake and change the setting. And for that other person's suggestion, about doors ajar. IME it's easy to not close the back hatch enough and that does not show on the dash for me, unlike if one of the side doors is not closed enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may be overly simple but you do know, I would guess, that there is a setting for that on the steering wheel knob, it can be set to on, off, or auto. Make sure it is set to auto. It's easy to bump that by mistake and change the setting. And for that other person's suggestion, about doors ajar. IME it's easy to not close the back hatch enough and that does not show on the dash for me, unlike if one of the side doors is not closed enough.
I appreciate your response. I really wish it was me in this case. LOL. My issue is when I have it set on auto, it does not automatically turn off. It will only automatically turn on. Had this happen in a parking lot where I returned to find my lights were still on. Habitually, I put it back in auto mode at some point and did not think when I put it in the garage. Was going to take my daughter to practice driving only to find the battery quite dead. We took mom's car instead.

Rather than fixing it, I am also starting to consider if there is a way to simply stop it from turning on at all. Basically disable the auto function and force all the lights to be turned on/off manually. At least in this instance, the door chime will go nuts if I leave them on.

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts