Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
AZ-Ted, this is kind of a shot in the dark but how much room do you remember there being behind the drain pan once it's mounted?

I ordered this just to see if it will fit but figured I'd see what I can find out on here as well.
http://www.nitomainc.com/npsp3.php?masterno=25080--89903

My concern is that it will protrude inside the drain pan to far. This would be threading in in the place of the stock drain plug.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
AZ-Ted, this is kind of a shot in the dark but how much room do you remember there being behind the drain pan once it's mounted?

I ordered this just to see if it will fit but figured I'd see what I can find out on here as well.
http://www.nitomainc.com/npsp3.php?masterno=25080--89903

My concern is that it will protrude inside the drain pan to far. This would be threading in in the place of the stock drain plug.
IIRC, there is not very much extra room in the pan. I'll take a look to see if I have any additional pictures of the pan.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
less then 5 quarts will drain from atf plug..... have something to measure what you drained out.... or simply re-fill what you drained out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replacing this transmission filter SAVED my truck!! :D:D No joke. In September my X broke down, barely made it home. It would not drive or reverse 1 inch in my driveway. Fast Forward to this Saturday, it was 68 degrees in NJ and my father in law and I went the extra step to replace this filter. My God, I'm glad we did. The truck drives great now after replacing this and adding brand new tranny fluid. The old filter was pretty gunked up, and from how I understand it, the transmission couldn't suck fluid through that rectangle opening because it was so filthy.

My truck drives again!!! I almost went fishing yesterday lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
personally, i didn't think undoing all those bolts that hold it in and re-installing was worth it. I really think there is more risk in dropping and cleaning it then leaving it alone, though i do not speak from any experience or knowledge concerning it, just by looking at it and hearing that the o-ring may leak air which will cause tranny issues.

with that said, I am seriously considering installing an inline filter but need to do more research. I do not want to introduce particles from the filter into the tranny obviously so it needs to be a filter that will not do that and of very high quality.

would be nice to have a clear one of there was such a thing, that way you could see your fluid color and status of the filter.
Replacing this tranny filter SAVED my truck!! I highly recommend if your truck won't move!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts