Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that changed out your transmission screen ("filter"), did you use a Nissan part, or an aftermarket one?

The reason I ask is because the one I got from AutoZone doesn't look anything like the factory screen, so I didn't change it out. Instead I just cleaned the pan magnets and reinstalled with the original gasket. No leaks so far.

Pic of tranny with factory screen:

Pic of aftermarket screen:

Pic of cleaned pan magnets:

·
on line
2,094 Posts
1st gen auto= RE4R01A transmission
2nd gen auto = RE5R05A transmission

i looked it up on autozone's sight and yeah they list the filter for the 1st gen as working for the 2nd gen
i would just go oem if you plan on changing the filter in the future

·
on line
2,867 Posts
what's the part number for the 2nd gen screen? I looked and looked at courtesy and could not find one listed. Almost as if it's part of the tranny..

·
on line
2,867 Posts
so i guess that would be a $4000 filter? ;-) Buy the whole tranny for it.

do you have to clean it to make it to the higher mileages?

·
on line
2,867 Posts
personally, i didn't think undoing all those bolts that hold it in and re-installing was worth it. I really think there is more risk in dropping and cleaning it then leaving it alone, though i do not speak from any experience or knowledge concerning it, just by looking at it and hearing that the o-ring may leak air which will cause tranny issues.

with that said, I am seriously considering installing an inline filter but need to do more research. I do not want to introduce particles from the filter into the tranny obviously so it needs to be a filter that will not do that and of very high quality.

would be nice to have a clear one of there was such a thing, that way you could see your fluid color and status of the filter.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It' really not a big deal to change out the screen. I changed out the screenon my '01 X without any issues. The O-ring would only be a problem if it was cut or otherwise mis-shapen. It's a bummer that I haven't been able to find a 2nd gen screen anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,867 Posts

·
on line
386 Posts

·
on line
2,867 Posts

·
on line
3,473 Posts
personally, i didn't think undoing all those bolts that hold it in and re-installing was worth it. I really think there is more risk in dropping and cleaning it then leaving it alone, though i do not speak from any experience or knowledge concerning it, just by looking at it and hearing that the o-ring may leak air which will cause tranny issues.

with that said, I am seriously considering installing an inline filter but need to do more research. I do not want to introduce particles from the filter into the tranny obviously so it needs to be a filter that will not do that and of very high quality.

would be nice to have a clear one of there was such a thing, that way you could see your fluid color and status of the filter.

Only reason I dropped the pan on my wife's XJ was because it leaked. It was a huge pain in the A$$ to get it all back together again. So far, no leaks though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts